1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amps to go with Ampeg SVP Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mossyrocks, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    Hey guys!

I recently played a gig with a Mk2 SVT through an 8x10, and straight up decided to retire my Eden WT500 in favour of my Ampeg SVP preamp and a power amp.

I've been using a borrowed Yamaha P5000 in parallel mode with 2 speaker combinations of 2 x Hartke XL4.5, Boogie powerhouse 15 and Eden 112 XLT.

Tons of power!!, but has anyone got any thoughts about amps and bass tone?

I play 70's heavy rock and swing blues. Basses are usually Gibson Grabber, Epi Ripper (modded), P-Bass or G&L L2500

Cheers

2. I run my SVP-CL through a Powersoft Digam D2004 for 2000 Watts. It sounds great.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I used to run an SVP Pro through an SWR 750 Power amp they worked well together. The SWR doesn't seem to have a great nymber of followers on TB and I suppose the reasons might be that it weighs 35 lbs and is expensive if bought new. Having said all that, I'm going to keep mine 'cause it just plain works.

4. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I used to run mine with a Mackie m1400i power amp. Loved it...tons of headroom, nice warm tone.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I bought a used SVP / Furman / Crest CA-6 / rack box many moons ago. The SVP is gone but not the Crest. Also just bought a QSC 3102 for a second rig. You can't go wrong with any of the QSC models IMO.

Riis

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The Yamaha P5000 sounds just the same as any other pro level brand power amplifier.
    Sonically they're all the same, just different features and warranties.

The current trend is towards high efficiency (more power output per wall socket) and lightweight.
    Peavey will have a new line out sometime, I think they'd be worth waiting to try if you can wait.
    Otherwise not as efficient but inexpensive and lightweight are new Carvin amps.
    Or efficient, and lightweight, more expensive but built in DSP for crossover, some tone shaping, and presets is Crown Xti series. Available up to 6000w with the right wall outlet.

7. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    +1 on the QSC's. I've used an SVP-Pro into an RMX1450, sounds great!

8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I love the headroom on my crest ca-9 and it hasn't failed me after thousands of shows. It also seems to be a favorite amongst tb'ers, but it needs to be racked as it's a big pizza box (I had a custom wheeled anvil case made) and it's not light.

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've had great luck with QSC's, Bryston, Crest and upscale Crowns for bass, studio, and PA applications
    Never used on but a lot of people love Carvin, and, if weight is not an issue and you are not insane about very small tonal differences, Peavy's are very good

Once A/B'd an ancient Peavy CS400 vs pro amps in a studio
    We couldn't tell any difference between QSC and Bryston and only a very small difference with the Peavy played through Urei Time Alligns (bass not as tight and overall not as clear)

10. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    I guess my question was posed so that I got exactly this sort of input.

There are a lot of people who say that only some power amps have enough grunt for a bass rig, a comment I don't agree with at all. After testing the Yamaha compared to the output of the WT500 amplifier I think that this new rig will do everything I need.

The Yamaha is attractive since I can get it at a good "mates rate" from my music store. This is important down here, since our Australian Peso is currently not great against almost any foreign currency.

Gotta say, 3 tubes in the SVP more than makes up for the great EQ in the WT500

Cheers

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I think you're right. I don't know all the Yamaha line, but they've made some very good power amps.

A good power amp is very accurate--it puts out just a bigger version of the input signal--no extra or missing grunt, oomph, girth, sizzle, punch whatever. If those qualities aren't in the input signal, don't expect the power amp to tip the balance in your favor. There's no mystique that can realistically be associated with any particular brand or model.

The bigger variables among power amps aren't about sound quality, but reliability, service, etc.

12. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    Thanks Bob

I agree with what you say absolutely. I want a high-gain piece of wire, basically!

Actually, I'm an associate member of the AES and work in sound electronics, but as tech support to a buncjh of archivists.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I also use a Mackie 1400i and concur. Had this setup for well over a decade w/o any trouble and have never wanted for power. I sometimes use a Peavey DPC1000 power amp, works great as well.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Good on you! The AES is probably the best overall way to learn about audio-related sciences and technologies that is open to everyone interested.

One of the AES VPs, David Murphy, is a good friend of mine from Adelaide (I know Canberra isn't really close, but it's much closer than I am. ;)).

15. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    Bit off topic I guess, but since we're on the Audio Engineering Society;

Neville Thiele, Australian and AES legend, is quite a good friend of mine and I spent a couple of days with him last week at a conference here in Canberra.

I guess we've sorted the power amp question out, anyway. If you've got a preamplifier you really like, so long as you use a correctly rated amplifier you'll get the results you need.

I have also tried my Tech21 Bass driver as a direct preamp, and it gives quite startling results as well. Neither solution has EQ as good as the WT500, but the dynamic power difference is startling.

Cheers

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Neville Thiele is a great guy. Very knowledgeable, and so very generous with sharing what he's learned over so many years. I like people like that! Through the AES I've gotten to meet and know people like Thiele, Richard Small (the two of them are the Thiele and Small behind the well-known set of loudspeaker parameters), Rupert Neve, John Eargle, Floyd Toole, George Massenburg, etc.

Is Australian Monitor still in business making power amps? I met one of their design engineers at an AES convention in New York back when I worked for Crest, and we gave each other sort of a walkthrough of a few of our respective amps.

17. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    The name still exists, but the last product I I looked at was off-shore manufactured. I hope they're still going for indestructable. Have used quite afew over the years. Never a problem with reliability. Still, not everyone has successfully survived the move to switch-mode PSUs, rail switching and 2 ohm delivery.

http://www.australianmonitor.com.au/AM/home/inner.asp?pageID=8&main=0

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I always loved the SVPs with an Eden WT1000 for power.

19. I use a QSC PLX3102 and it puts out a deadly accurate representation of my pre into my cab. It's a beast and it's light too.:hyper:

20. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    I think I'm going to go with the Yamaha P5000.

Best value around here right now. I'd love something like a QSC, but I just can't swing it. The P5000 has good power into 8 ohms and has a parallel mode. It has jack i/o plus speakon.

Cheers