Power amps to power a head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Virus, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    I just played through a friend of a friend's old 1968 Fender Bassman. I know for sure that was the best sound I've ever heard so now I'm checking ebay for any decent priced ones that will ship to Canada. However if I get one they are only 50 watts or a Bassman 135 which is 100 I believe. I would still need more power, if I were to buy a power amp could I still get the EXACT sound the Bassman head makes but just add more power to it so I can gig with it? If I can do that which power amps should I be looking at that are currently sold in Canada? I guess I want at least 250 watts but that's in tube watts. Also, are there any tube power amps available because that's what I really want.

Thanks for your time.
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Try doing a search for tube power amps, as it's been discussed quite a bit here. Thatshould bring up some good lists of manufacturers. I have a Mesa Strategy 500 tube power amp and absolutely love it! Unfotunately, I don't know of any wan you can run that Bassman into a power amp. Unless you find one modded with a preamp out, you've got to run the amp into a load, as with all tube amps.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The Bassman tone is the sum of the preamp and poweramp output. You wouldn't get the same sound using another amp.

If you want a Bassman-like tone, find yourself a Kern 777 and a tube power amp. It'll cost you a fortune, but it will be pretty much a high-powered Bassman.
  4. Main part of the Bassman sound would be the speakers and cab its using. Even if you could get more watts from some other amp, and get a suitable load for the current bassman power amp to keep from blowing it up, most likely the bassman speakers aren't capable of handling much more than the bassman puts out.

Significantly more power to gig with would likely fry the speakers.

Only reasonable thing is to use the bassman and mic it, run through the PA.

To do what you want, you'd have to get another power amp, PLUS another cab to handle the extra power, but one that still sounds like a bassman.

5. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    If you really like it that much, get two Bassman 135's, that might just do it.
  6. Ken Handy

Ken Handy

Jul 24, 2005
    The Alembic F-1X preamp is actually supposed to be the pre from a Bassman. A Stewart poweramp is a pretty good transparent amp to run with it. I don't know of any cab that can sound like a Bassman 4x12 trap cab though.Good luck.