Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amps (watts, prices), and sorry about all the questions guys...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Sorry about all the questions. But i mentioned that i wanted the SWR 8004 head, and Workingmans tower, on musiciansfreind it comes to about 1600, that is a lot for me. but for 800 watts i would be willing to dish that out (i most likely will) but if i only played with a crowd of no more than 1 or 2 thousand, how many watts should i have, and any suggestions on amplifier and cabinet combos with prices about 1000 dollars? (like i said, i will only get the wm tower for 1500)? thanks -_Soto_- and please someone give me a review on the swr stuff! no more posts will be on this subject from me- sorry! -Soto-

2. Playing to crowds of 1 or 2 thousand you surely will be going through the PA. You really only need enough amp to hear yourself on stage. Even then you'll probably be pumped through the monitor system. You could probably get by nicely with one of these if you wanted to.

[​IMG]

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    thanks man, that looks awsome... any other people have any suggestions?

4. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    As Mudbass stated above.....if you're playin' to crowds of 1-2000 peeps....you will need full PA support (esp. if outside)

Aside from that...what is it that you are really asking ?? I read and re-read your initial post, but still unclear.

Are you asking for Amp/Cab recommendations?

If so.....just spend a little time scouring this board...you'll get more than plenty opinions !!

Any of the majors should suffice : SWR , Eden , Ampeg , etc.....

A 4-10 cab plus 500w head (to start) should do the trick for most every situation .

PJR

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would not recommend buying a complete rig from Musiciansfriend... overpriced IMO. and 1 to 2 thousand people is alot more than you think it is.. I've played in front of 2 thousand people before.. and Even with my rig, i had to run through a PA system...

so that being said.. the Sans amp bass driver D.I is a nice piece to have. I have one.. i don't use it as much as i used to, but whenever I bring it out, the sound guys start to love me ;)

6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    i see, do the places you play at provide a pa? or do you guys have your own? :bassist:

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    it depends.. some places have a system there.. but its not a bad Idea to invest in one either IMO

8. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    thats cool