1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

power amps with crossover built in

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fnordlyone, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Fnord, still newb, still learning…

I would like to buy a 2 channel power amp. I would like it to be capable of crossover, i.e. sending lows to one cab and highs to the other. Are there new QSC, Crown, Peavey, Crest, etc that do this? Also, what can I pick up in the used market that has this capability? I'm talking Peavey Megabass type stuff… other modern options, etc.
    love the vets with straight up experience based assessments,
    fnord!

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Bi-amped post...

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    You will find QSC amps with this (very useful) feature. The PLX XX02 series (not the XX04) have it, as well as the GX models (I think).

A lot of people will soon tell you that Bi-amping serves little purpose but in fact a PA style setup (pro 18" woofer mated with single 15" dual 12" for mids and highs) will outgun even a fEarful etc and definitely most 810s too.

Funnily it is often the same guys that say that you do not need massive SPL - that you should leave the "heavy lifting" to the PA. The PA would often consist of exactly 18" subs and dual 12" for mids. Go figure... ;)

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Quite a lot of power amps have complex DSP functions these days all the makes you mention do.
    There is less to chose between makes performance wise today than before but for Rugged a lot of people like the Crest products.:bassist:

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Crown DriveCore is a great budget-conscious offering.

With regards to the bi-amp bass rig vs full-blown PA: the key here is location, location, location. What sounds great out front (FOH) can be troublesome if used as backline. Do check out the other "Bi-amp" threads for suggestions on the do's and don'ts.

Riis

6. +1

7. thanks to all.. especially, the ones who name specific models…Love the love,
    fnord!

8. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    GK 800RB has the cross over/Bi-amp function but used as a bass amp.
    It's limited at 100 watts high frequency @8ohms and 300 watts low frequency @4ohms. There's also a knob you can use to set the (hz-frequency).

Also, the Eden Navigator preamp has this option.
    You just need a 2 channel power amp to utilize it.

Attached Files:

9. Look for amps with the DSP feature built in, if you want an adjustable range crossover.

I bought a new Crest ProLite 2.0 without the DSP, because I only require the 100 Hz fixed crossover.
    This model is a 4th order L-R type, at 100 Hz.
    One channel is switched to below-100 Hz, the other channel to above-100 Hz.

The IPR2 Peavey is 100 Hz also, but at a lesser 3rd order crossover rate.
    I use subs and top boxes, and prefer the sharp 4th order slope.

Another solution is finding a used Rane crossover (MX22, SAC, etc) and using a conventional power amp.
    I own several QSC PLX and Rane crossovers, all of which work flawlessly.
    These eat another rack space (Rane), and weigh more (PLX) than the ultra light amps with DSP.

10. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Not sure if this was a typo or if this is something that was added to later models, but my PLX 1602 does not have a crossover.

11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Good point, wcriley. I just looked at the QSC homepage and it says:
    Your PLX 1602 belongs to the older generation PLX amps with darker front grilles. Today's have silver colored fronts.

12. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Mine might be several generations older. (10+ years old.) :D

I wish manufacturers would use model designations rather than cosmetics to distinquish between generations.

13. Crown Xti series.
    Got the Xti2002 myself.
    Besides extended DSP; bi-amp included, also one of the best in tight bass.

14. I have three PLX, all 10+ years old.
    All are MUCH more sturdy construction (and heavier) than my new Crest ProLite 2.0 rig.

My PLX are Made in America, vs. Hecho in China for the Crest/Crown/Peavey/Behringer...
    Everything about the PLX feels "built to last".
    I expect them to be running long after the ProLite goes in for warranty repairs.
    Pity.

15. I am very new to testing out any systems. DSP, though I've no experience to justify this having never heard it, makes me shaky on my here to now totally analog (how ears work in every day life) cultivated sound. Please educate: the draw backs or benefits of DSP before amplification versus the cross overs after the amp (physical crossover or impedance). I know more power to drive speakers; I mean "sound/tone"

anyone got an a vs b story of DSP vs physical crossovers?
    thanks for the info above have been doing too much research; brain full of gas, but doesn't know where to go!
    fnord!

16. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    The good thing about an active crossover is that it's able to perform at unity gain, nothing is lost and a lower powered system can do as much as a higher-powered one. I'm dealing with this problem in a bar system now- the budget is limited, the owner had to use the equipment from his last bar and none of it has active crossovers. Ultimately, I want to install an active crossover and remove the passive one on the sub/sat speakers.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You never listen to CDs, MP3s, YouTube, or digitally encoded TV? ;)

18. Yes, have you ever listened to vinyl? It is far superior to the old human ears I own.

I understand that in recording, I may have few budget options other than digital. When I play in the real world, I prefer analog. Though, as I said my bass rig has always been analog and I'm less than a year into this bass playing experiment. What the hell do I know? I have digital (Line 6 pod) with effects that go into my Mac that don't sound as good as my analog (Sansamp BDDI) and a simple Peavey Basic 112. Hence, my question about digital crossovers, etc.
    fnord!

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Direct to disc recordings were very cool, but otherwise I always preferred reel to reel back when those were the only choices. Don't miss either one a bit though, in all honesty. I often do wish that mastering without huge amounts of compression would come back in vogue however. ;)

About all I can offer up: don't assume that music reproduction and music production necessarily follow the same rules. Try as many rigs as you can get your hands on and decide for yourself. You will very likely be running through digital boards and speaker management systems sooner than later anyway, as both are ubiquitous these days.

I have built a number of DIY cabs by using DSP crossovers to identify the sweet spots and then porting over to a passive solution. Sometimes I like the passive one better, sometimes not. It's essentially free to re-do the DSP one at any time though, or even to repurpose it for a different cab or a specific venue. A nice passive crossover for a reasonably high powered bass rig weighs as much as several pounds, a DSP chip a couple of grams. That tends to more or less balance out with the need for a second or third power amp section in biamped/triamped rigs. All that said, very few bassists biamp these days.

20. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    The Carvin BX1500 has a two channel power amp with a crossover and onboard bass preamp with semi-para and graphic eq section. Great bang for the buck, and can go down to 2 ohms.