Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spalka621, Nov 9, 2005.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    wouldl a crown xlr 402 have enough power to run 2 gk cabs that run at 200 w max power

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    it seems the crown could put 200w into each of the cabs. max. this is about double the power you were running before. readiing the manual I find that, yes, you can use the 250 as a preamp with the DI output set to "post" and you can still use the internal amp for cabs as well.

3. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    well will turning the bass up on the head, or on my bass effect how much power it can handle

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ALL increases in volume be they lows or highs cause the amp to send more power at those frequencies. Our ears are not as sensitive to lows as they are to mids, say 1,000 to 4,000 hz. to put out a 100 db (measurement of volume) of say 100hz takes more power than say 100db of 2,000 hz.

if you play with your bass knob turned to 5 o'clock your amp will run out of juice sooner than if you play with the bass at say 2 o'clock. your amp still has the same wattage potential, it just depends on where you tell them to go by turning the tone knobs. this is a perfect example to explain when a bass player says "our guitar player if blowing us off the stage with his 100w 2-12!" a 100w in the 1,000 - 4,000 range is heard more easily and is more irritating than a bass players tone range (mostly below 1,000)

I deafinitely don't know all the ins and outs of how bass cabs are rated, but sending 200w or having an amp that CAN send 200w to each speaker is a good position to be in. its better than the position you were in.

The best way to protect your speakers is to know what BAD distortion sounds like. if you raise your volume to a point where the sound shifts into a "fuzzzy" or distorted mode. REALIZE that you have probably reached the limit of the amp. I'm assuming underpower distortion sounds different than overpowering a speaker. Just "be aware" of how your tonal or volume changes "sound" and if they get fuzzy then back it off a little and think about a bigger amp/cabs if you need to.