Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by onebassplayer, Jul 25, 2001.

1. In the market for a power amp anywhere between 1200 - 2400 watts (give or take). Anyone have any suggestions ? I have a Mackie 1400i that I love, but a good friend suggested I look at the Crest line... there are others, of course, but I wanted to get some other takes on this.

2. Crest, Crown and QSC are the big three amp makers. I run a pair of QSC and have taken the covers off them for routine cleaning. Very sturdy, very well made.

Power is cheap these days, buy lots of it, so you don't have to buy it again cuz you didn't get enough the first time out.
  3. After weighing amps versus dollars, I ended up purchasing a Peavey CS800s digital amp. 1200 watts- good solid power- no sound altering problems and weighs less than 25 lbs. Running it hard for over a year now with zero problems.
  4. I want to replace my 69 pound QSC MX with the lighter weight 21 pound PLX. Weight is very important, as I carry two amps in my rack.

The switching amps such as the Peavey, Carvin, Clarus, QSC PLX, etc are lighter, but far more complex in construction. FWIW, a QSC rep told me their PLX has the same reliability numbers as their rock solid MX line.
  5. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    The mackie ain't too bad, but I just replaced mine with a Trace power amp, PPA600, I A/Bed them and the Mackie was put to shame. Same pre, same same spk and cable. (EBS-1 ver 2 with an Eden 210T4ohm using monster 14gawith Speakon and banana plug.)
    PPA600 sounded Mo' richer in all frequencies.
    Courious, it's specs read less i.e. "300watts @4ohms slightly less @8"but the rating was done over the freq of 10hz - 30Khz.
    I think the Mackie is 300 into 8ohm(don't know freq)

Note: the trace has two power supplies for each side, but can't be bridged

I've heard good things about the Crest CA series.
    Anyone have a basis for comparison between the MAckie or the Trace or the Crests?

I had a PLX 1602, but I liked the Mackie better
  6. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Hey Onebassplayer,
    Nice Elrick, what finish is that?
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used a Peavey CS 800x for quite a while and had no problems with it. Worked great, plenty of power, and never let me down. They can be picked up pretty reasonably, too.
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The Crest CA9 is a super amp and is comparable to the Crown K2. The problem I see with the CA9 is that it's 18" deep which means it'll need a special deep rack.

You might want to give the Crown K2 a look.
  9. Spalted Maple. Thanks ! !

BTW, where did you get your PPA600 ?