1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by life.x, Feb 13, 2006.

1. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    Awright looking for ideas on Good power amps. I've seen some around but I've been told that a good one is costly.
    So can anybody direct me the right direction?

2. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Yup....
    QSC PLX series.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I had a QSC PLX, which worked well enough. I'm also looking at power amps right now and have narrowed it down to a Crest CA-9 and a Stewart World 2.1.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Crown K1. One of the best when it comes to sound quality (one guy actually picked it over the Macro Tech) I would totally own one if I was going that route.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    It all depends on the amount of cash you want to spend.

I highly recommend QSC PLX and RMX amps. They sound great!

I use a PLX 2402 for my big bass rig and for PA I use an RMX 1450 for mains and an RMX 850 for monitors.

:D

Joe.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Crown's have treated me well for years, even their low end stuff rocks. The PLX series from QSC is tough to beat though. You may also want to have a look at Stewart Audio.

-Mike

7. a little off topic, Has anyone tried a PLX 2 series poweramp?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, QSC PLX. And there is only one place to buy them. Check around, do your research, get some prices, then call Northern Sound and Light. You will be blown away.

9. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    PLX2 series is brand new, so it's unlikely anyone but Bob Lee has one. It's an evolution of the PLX series and made in the USA.

If you can't swing a PLX(2), try QSC's RMX series. They're heavy, but powerful, clean, and great value for the money.

My #1 rig has a PLX 2402, and my #2 rig an RMX 1850HD. I can heartily recommend both.

10. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    BTW, my experience with Northern Sound and Light matches Munji's (although I didn't buy my QSC gear from them). They also carry Crest and other pro quality gear. Phone them for a quick quote, and be surprised at how much they can save you!

http://www.northernsound.net/

Not a shill, just a satisfied customer.

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    anyone know of a 1u high power amp?
    Im only loking for maybe 600-800watts in to 4 ohms bridged to run my ABM in to my Schroeder 1210
    Thanks