Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Personator, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Im looking to build a rig using an avatar B410 and sansamp DI, and im looking at power amps. I've gotten reccomendations for the RMX1450, but I don't want to spend $400 on top of the cab (seeing as how i rarely work and want a car). Would there be much harm in the RMX850, which only supplies 800 of the 1450 max watts? The only 1400 watt amp cheap is Nady... which i don't fully trust, i might test out my friends after getting the cab. Any reccomendations?

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Check out Carvin stuff, it's pretty good. I use a DCM1000 power amp, which puts out 1000 watts into a 4 ohm bridge. Really, you don't need to run a cab to it's max wattage.

3. How about a used amp? Buying used gear can be a bit of a risk, but there might be something for sale locally that you can "Try before you buy".

This might save you a buck.

Some used amps you might consider:
    QSC MX700
    Crown PowerBase
    Carver PM series

Check specs on the net for what you want, check ebay "completed sales" for price ranges.

Good luck.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I would get a used Carvin/QSC/ Crown etc......I would stay away from the Nady.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree that a used Carvin or QSC RMX would be best for you. Keep your eyes on ebay and see what pops up.

I got a QSC RMX 1850HD on ebay for $350 plus shipping. Nice deal!

6. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    The MX700 looks very tempting... possibly under $200 and 1000 watt bridged mono. If one comes up starting cheaper than the $200 one up now, ill try to get it.

7. Check the ohm rating of your cab, and compare like ohms for the MX700 bridged rating. I think it's rated 1000w into 2 ohms, where you cab is likely 4 or 8. Regardless, I'd bet it would push that Avatar 410 right nicely.:)

BTW - QSC's MX series are famous & legendary for reliability, considered an MX700 meeeeself.

8. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Actually This looks interesting. Amp, case, power cond, and aural exciter, even though ill probably take that out. Will 800 watts be enough to blast out a guitar player's ears? :D