1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeybass, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mikeybass

mikeybass

Feb 18, 2008
    I need some input from you TB'rs that use power amps. What's out there now that is light weight, dependable and powerfull (2000 watts +)? Last time I used one was a Stewart 2.1 World Class.
    Thanks
    MB

2. Well 2,000+ doesnt really exist do to limitations of your power at the wall. That said it all depends on what you want to spend, and what features you want.

Personally I gas a bit for a Peavey IPR 3000 DPS.

And a question, what cabs are you using that will handle this much power?

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I used to run a Stewart 2.1. For the last couple of years a Carvin DCM1000 has been working for me. The DCMs also come in larger (and lighter) versions.

Light, shallow (so you can use a lighter/shallower rack), powerful, reliable, fairly inexpensive, and sounds good.

4. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Carvin makes good stuff; as do all of the usual suspects: Crown, QSC, etc. I use a QSC PLX1804 and love it.

5. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    It's early days yet as far as lightweight power amps are concerned so long-term reliability is an unknown. Peavey IPR series and Crown XLS look good with no problems reported. They might blow away in a strong wind though!

6. 2-Sticks

2-Sticks

Sep 8, 2008
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: S.I.T. Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, WB Gear,
    I have been running a Crown XLS 2000 for almost a year now. It has been solid and trouble free for two tours and about 10 hours a week of practice. I can also agree that Carvin also make great reliable power amps...ultimately it comes down size, weight, and the features you are looking for.

7. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    We just bought a pair of IPR 3000s for our band PA (not the DSP model). We've done about three weekends on them and they are AMAZING! Love those amps.

--Steve

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  9. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I have a bunch of QSC amps for both my bass rig (PLX2) and PA rig (PLX2 + RMX 5050).
    They do sound very, very good and pack a lot more punch than regular bass amps.

And, yes, you will get more than 2000 Watts, although not as a steady, full level sine wave, which most music does not contain much of...

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    What speaker cabinets is the OP using that require such power? Unless they are factored into the equation the OP will be facing grief in the future.

My main system is using a Carvin DCM1000L for 325W into each of my two cabinets.

11. +1

Even the best 810's out there are not going to be able to do much with over 1,000 watts. Further more the volume difference between a 1,000 watts and 2,000 watts is 3 dB (if your cabs could even handle the increase). If its a headroom issue, I understand that. I run a IPR 1600 bridged, but im not using a commercial cab either.

12. The Crown Drivecore series and peavey IPR series both have amps in that power range that are both light weight and inexpensive and have good reputations here on TB

13. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Deja vu

14. :p true story

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Why do you think you need 2000 Watts? Do you even know what 2000 Watts will do?

If you play next to other musicians, you'll be the most hated person on that stage.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Huh. Really.

I've been using a Peavey IPR 3000 for about a year and a half now, and given that it won't hit 3000w with US line voltage, it will hit ~2000w. I've never received any of this 'hate' you refer to.

7590137990_750d9c9661_b.

17. Now now now... It all really depends on the implementation. You do bring up a good point about "what 2000 Watts will do?"

Provided your speakers can actually handle the power... 2,000 watts is only 3 dB louder than 1,000 watts. Which in turn is only 3 dB louder than 500 watts. Its a game of diminishing returns. So what do you gain by increasing power once you have reached that ohfukme SPL level? Headroom. If your playing style, signal chain, or instrument lends its self to high transient spikes you want all that head room or you are going to clip your power amp. This is still all assuming your speaker cabs arnt letting the black smoke out, but real world examples do exist.

Over on the fEARful forum there are a couple of guys who double. They have been clipping power amps, really big power amps, with their signal chain. Its not a flaw, but "the nature of the beast" of their instrument. So for them headroom is an issue. They might not be playing at higher SPL levels than someone with a p-bass and a 1,000 watt amp, but they dont want to be running into limiters or clipping all night either.