Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power and Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Ok, I'm going to ask again cause I didn't quite understand any of the answers I got..... if I run two cabs off of the same channel of my amp, how is the wattage distributed? Is it equally among the number of speakers combined (4-10s + 1-15), or number of cabs? Would it be 1100w divided by five speakers or 550w into each cab.
    Thanks for any helpful info,
    Joe

2. It depends on the ohms of each cabinet. for example if u have 2 8 ohm cabs than the power is distributed equally, but if one is 8, and the other is 4 than the 4 ohm cab will get 2x the power. also the efficiency will determine the volume the cab creates, but you didn't ask about that!

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    They are both 8ohms. That's what I want to do- increase the volume of my rig by adding a 15 to my Acme. It doesn't make sense to me, though. Why would it be distributed equally when both cabs are run from the same channel? Wouldn't that, in effect, make it like a Boogie powerhose 1000? You know, the one with 4-10s and a 15 in one cab?

4. I don't know how the 1000 works, but maybe you could shed some light on it. If you already have 2 8 ohm cabs, and run both of them off the same channel they will get the same amount of power. If you are getting a 3rd 8 ohm cab(is this right?) and run 2 off 1 channel, and 1 off another, than in theory they should all still get the same amount of power, because one channel will have a 4 ohm load (2 8 ohm loads make a 4 ohm load.), and the other will have an 8 ohm load. Theoretically they will all get the same amount of power, because the channel with a 4 ohm load will be able to put out twice the power of the channel with the 8 ohm load. But in reality the 8 ohm load will probably recieve an unnoticable amount of power more. An ohm is a mesure of resistance. More electrons can flow more easily through a speaker of less ohms. An amp can distribute more electrons through a speaker of less ohms, and therfore can create more power with a lighter load(less resistance(ohms)). In your case the ohms are measured for the cabinet as a whole, not each induvidual speaker.