Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power and Pre amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, May 5, 2003.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'm wondering what the best power amp and pre amp would be to run with my Music man 2x12 and MM 2x10 cabs 600watts RMS I believe @8ohms. Anyway what would you guys suggest within the $500 dollar range a piece, so a total of $1000? Or would there be a way too hook my Peavy Session Bass head into a power amp? because I really like the sound of my Session Bass.
    thanks
    peace
    -Ben

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    If your session has a preamp out, run that into a power amp. If not, and you like Peavey, check out the Max preamp and a PV series power amp. A few different power options, and not the most expensive.

3. Demeter 201 or Alembic F1-X pre-amp
    QSC RMX1850 power-amp or
    QSC PLX1202 power-amp ( less power but a lot less weight ) jmho

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    A PV2600 MAP's for the MF sale price of a PLX1202. The Peavey has more power (540w to 8 ohms stereo, vs. 200w on the QSC) Both are only 2 rack spaces. PV's heavier at 49lbs though. Couldn't find the weight on the RMX.

I still say Peavey. I won't argue which amp is better, I've never tried the QSC's. I will take power over weight though. With the saved money, you could get a rolling SKB rack ;)

5. While I have always thought that Peavey made some fine products, I don't like the 2600 because it won't bridge into 4 ohms. Saetia is wanting to run 2x8ohm cabs. The only way that will work with the 2600 is to go parallel mono which is 580 per channel into 8ohms. The PLX1202 will make 1200 watts bridged into 4 ohms and only weighs 21 lbs. The 1850 will make 1850 watts bridged into 4 ohms but weighs I'm thinken 40-45 lbs. Anyhu, I think the QSC's are a better choice in this application. jmho.

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Good call. I wasn't looking at bridged #'s. GreyBeard 1, Stu 0 ;)

EDIT: Grey, I just realized we're only talking about a difference of about 40 watts when the 2600 is added up at 8stereo. And, if he ran extra cabs later on, with a 2ohm load (stereo again) the 2600 does 1300w. Basically, I say loop the input, and have the ability to add on later instead of being locked into a 4ohm bridge. JMHO of course :)

7. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    So how many watts is the PV2600 if i hooked it up each cab to an out? both cabs being 8 ohms. I need help on understanding the 8ohms stereo vs. 4 parallel bridged? what kinda power would i expect, im just a bit rust with this stuff.
    thanks
    peace
    -Ben

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The PV2600 does 580w x 2 into 8 ohms. So each cab would see 580w. Bridging the 1202 would yield 1200w, each cab would see 600w.

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thank you both very much, its much appreciated, I think im going to go with a peavy, ill check them both out though, whats a ball park on price for these bad boys???? I may have to call on one of you two when i get it for info on hooking it up the way we have talked about, anywho thank you much and im going to add you both to my buddy list if you dont mind
    thanks
    peace
    -Ben

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Saetia,

For a preamp you should look at:

SansAmp RBI
    or a used Alembic F1-X

(I use an Ampeg SVP, which has got monster tone, but I would like to get one of the above as well)

And for a power amp:

QSC RMX line is a very good in terms of cost/power ratio. I have one (1850HD) and I love the way it is designed. Of course, if you are moving your rig a couple of times a week, get a PLX series amp.

So my advice is similar to Grey Beard's.