Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Brake, Power Soak etc...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Droog, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    So I am curious about these kind of boxes. I understand the point and yes the idea of cranked tubes is apealling, but something about doing this just does not feel right. Basically blasting your amp but constricting the signal to the cab. There has got to be negative side effects. What are they. Does is it cook your tubes quicker? Its just seems like it invites damage somewhere, especially when its always in your rig. What do you guys think? If nothing else it would be a great studio tool.

2. Those devices convert voltage to heat and it is questionable whether or not they have an adverse effect on power tubes, transformers and speakers. I can't think it is a good thing or really necessary unless you are a gtr player that needs all his nobbies on 10. The power levels we run bass could be quite dangerous as these devices are designed to step down 60-100 watt gtr amps bass amps are generally 3-10 times more powerful and operate at a much broader frequency range than gtr.

3. I really think this is intended for primarily guitarists, who have half or full stacks, and love the cranked tube tone, but play Jazz, or blues, or church, or small gigs, ect.

It might be handy for say a 400+ into a smaller cab for such said smaller gigs.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I believe these would be a non-starter for anything but the lowest-power bass amps, tube or not-tube. AFAIK they typically max out at something like 100W capacity.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Good call guys. Thanks for the input. Did not occur to me that the intended use was guitar, obviously though. Maybe I'll grab for a studio toy.

6. mpgastr

mpgastr

Feb 9, 2005
    I am keen to buy/try a power soak pedal because I really need to run my amp (Ampeg SVT) at high levels to achieve the tone I desire. From reading the above posts I am now skeptical that it will serve the purpose I require it to do. However, can anyone suggest any other way of running my amp hard without being ridiculously loud and annoying the hell out of the rest of the band/world? A friend suggested using a volume pedal out of the effects loop which probably would work but the ol' SVT is not equipped with a n effects loop. Cheers

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    You may try getting a simple, clean boost pedal to drive your Pre amp with out having to turn it up to 10. That way you can run the preamp section at like 5 say, and there for when you crank the master you won't be as loud. Does that make sense? Basically you drive your input tubes with a really hot signal without cranking the gain to do so.

This may or may not work. Have not done so myself, but those clean boost pedal were initially used by guitar players with master volume only amps, so they would not have to crank them so loud.

8. PaulWeapon

PaulWeapon

Jan 17, 2005
    FWIW, WeberVST makes some interesting attenuators, and is planning a 200 watt version: https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/atten.htm . I've been wanting a MASS for recording guitar in my basement. I'd like to try running my bass through my 50 watt guitar tube amp (cheap Sovtek Tube Midget) hooked up to a dummy load, with the line out into the effects loop return on my bass head. It will probably sound terrible...