1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Cable Falling Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by primedynasty, Sep 24, 2008.

1. This has happened to me twice, once at a gig. The power cable on my GK700 will ease itself out of the amp until the amp loses power. I then have to frantically figure why I have no sound, only to find that the power cable is just enough out of its socket to cause problems.

Anyone had this happened? Any fixes?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I usually just reach in with my fingers and bend the prongs in a bit so they grab and hold the chord better. That office like connector used on most amps is not that great of an idea. There are twist-on lock connectors similar to speakon but a retrofit would be difficult.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A wrap or two around the cable head with electrical tape could snug it up.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Try a different cable. Some are more snug than others.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    It's unfortunate that the PowerCon connectors aren't seen at all alongside their SpeakOn bretheren in amplifiers. Seems like a no brainer to me given that every IEC connector I've had seems at least a little wobbly in the socket.

I know it has to do with the cost of supplying PowerCon cables with the amps, but how 'bout an option?

I've considered replicating the backplate of my DB 750 for use with a PowerCon and a couple of the heavy duty metal chassis SpeakOns I have lying around. I'll put some more thought into it now.

6. The problem seems to be that, as powercon's are not industry standard for power cables on amps, no-one wants to make the jump into using them. The thing about IEC cables (euro cables, or any other their other many names) is that they're easily replaceable. On countless gigs I have seen people steal one off of a computer or something to save them.

The moment you starting putting powercon's on amps, manufacturers lose the 'easily replaceable!" claim, which consumers love.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The PowerCons are a great idea, but if anything, I would parallel it with the regular IEC due to the vast availability.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The standard NEMA 5-15P on amps is a male connector with prongs. You'd have to provide a switch to switch between the two.

Also the NEMA 5-15P are also rated 12A - some of these claims of very high power amps just aren't possible with this connector.

My hopes are the powercon becomes just as common as speakons on pro gear. Then you could find the cable everywhere.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't think you'd have to bother with a switch, they could be wired in parallel. You'd just have to make sure not to have them both plugged in at once.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Pull off the cable - see the male prongs there? It wouldn't be safe to supply power to these. You'd need a switch.

11. well since i have a million IEC connectors laying around my house, I will give another a shot and if that is no good, try wrapping it with tape. Thanks for the tips.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1... some IEC cables don't fit quite right. They're all designed a little differently. Even cable gauge used will vary depending on who manufactured it.

13. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Folks made the switch to Speakons without much fuss, I don't see the powercons being much different.

14. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

There is another huge reason IEC connectors are used on the chassis.

Many companies make IEC chassis connector parts integrated with fuse holders and/or line-noise filters. I doubt there are equivalent parts using PowerCon connectors. Maybe this will happen eventually, but not in the near term.

15. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    That is one big plus for a racked power conditioner like a Furman. Twist-tie and secure all the extra length from racked units inside the back of the rack. Then have the one power conditioner cord (yes, with prongs slightly bent out) to the outlet. Just a quick re-check before playing to ensure all connections are secure and your set.

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's more of a small plus, considering what it costs to get that plus. ;)

17. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Its just $$ Bob. We can't take it with us:smug:

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You can't take a power "conditioner" with you, either. ;)

19. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    At least my "power" will be soft and silky.

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I bought a few 14-foot power cables from somewhere online. They are made by cables-to-go. This length seems to be just right for reaching the outlets in most venues without needing an extension. So I leave the extension in my car.