Power cable is only part of the equation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason P Bass, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obviously you need to spend $150 on a power cable because the other power cables slow down the electricity. But that's like putting a "NO FEAR" sticker on your Ferrari without the 22" chrome wheels. POINTLESS.

THINK about it. Your $150 power cable is probably connected to a cheap consumer grade electrical outlet. They're probably made in China and designed to be as cheap as possible without catching on fire. That's not good for full spectrum sound response! DUH!

Quit being such an amateur and upgrade today. You'll hear the difference immediately. Once you try these babies out, you'll never go back to those cheap consumer-grade electrical outlets.

Full disclosure: I am not paid or compensated in any way for my endorsement.

Tru-Tone Duplex covers

Fuller disclosure: This endorsement is for amusement purposes only. However, I CAN play quarter notes at DOZENS of bpm, and I can tune a bass guitar without an electronic tuner, INCLUDING drop-D.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's been done here a million time already.

[​IMG]
    pictures-of-cats_jasmine-double-yawn_07.jpg

3. For example, the thread about $150 power cables. QUICK. YOU'RE QUICK!

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    They obviously spent a massive $2.34 on their website to market their stellar product. At first I thought it was a Craigslist post.

5. I'd further be interested to know Victor Wooten's opinion of these products. I'd like to know if he can definitely hear a difference.

Anybody here know him? If so, please pass this along.

Audiophile-grade electrical receptacles

6. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    It’s too bad that immediately prior to posting, each and every forum member be required to pass a breathalyzer test. As in, you blow over the limit your keyboard wouldn't function. It would make life around here so much simpler. :eyebrow:

M. M.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    mba0018l.jpg

8. I'm purely, absolutely serious when I say that I'm curious to know what Victor's opinion is regarding the $90 electrical outlets. I was joking about the coverplates (cannot fool some of you clever kids - you know who you are) but I'm serious about the outlets.

The primary problem I have with a $150 power cable is that it's still connected to the romex in the wall. The power station is 50 miles away. You simply cannot upgrade the last 6' and hear a difference, in my opinion, in my experience, or to my knowledge.

But there's only 1 electrical outlet between the power station and me. (A ton of other equipment, but only one outlet.) If Victor can "definitely hear a difference" with the $150 power cable, then maybe, just MAYBE, you can definitely hear a difference by upgrading the electrical outlet.

MAYBE. I'm not a big rich bass guitar player. Maybe Victor Wooten (who can clearly tell the difference between power cables - just ask the guy) can hear a difference when using a $90 electrical outlet.

Seriously. I'd like to know what he thinks. Or anybody for that matter. Has ANYBODY used these outlets? There aren't even reviews at their website.

But if all you got is "this guy must be drunk jokes" then that's all you got. Good for you. Good for you.

9. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Actually, the collective membership here has many, many more in the way of jokes. Seriously, your question about electrical outlets is valid. Many of us have given serious thought to this subject, including yours truly. By doing a simple search you would come across numerous threads that have already addressed this very topic. These kind of threads usually end up in a bunch of mudslinging and insults, and go absolutely nowhere. Now you know. :)

M. M.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I doubt the venues I play will ever have audiophile grade AC outlets so why should I even bother playing there? :scowl:

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, Jason, the same jokes and logical fallacies have been done, and the "power conditioner" threads too - it's all been covered a lot of times, often ending up in locked threads. We wouldn't kid ya about it ; }

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You have to admit, though, I had the funniest thread about it. And yes, it got locked.

:bassist:

13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This is exactly the right attitude. You are not just some hack, you are a star. And for you, $150 power cords and high-end outlets simply won't do it. I'm an electrical engineer and I can assure you that for real bass performance you are going to have to modify your rider so that right next to the brown M&M removal clause, a 240 volt range/dryer outlet should be specified to be within 4 feet of the location of the bass players amp(s).

No high-performance power outlet? No gig. Simple.

[for Stadium tours you can change the outlet spec to 208 volt 3 phase...] :bassist:

14. MellowTone

MellowTone

May 26, 2008
    Australia
    Anyone who can "clearly" tell the difference with these is most likely drunk, a little slow, or they may be receiving some form of monetary compensation for their words..... opinions of said bass player aside.

Wow, definitely can't think of a plausible reason for why there are no reviews.... perhaps because when customers realise that they payed that much for an outlet COVER they aren't the nicest people. I'm sure that tiny, tiny bit of shielding in a power supply network hundreds of kilometers long will make all the difference in the world.

IMHO, naturally.

463px-Symbol_thumbs_up.svg.png

15. im drunk!

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Jimmy this is all your fault :)

17. premiumplus

premiumplus

Aug 11, 2009
    :D:D:D

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I hadn't seen either the recepticals, or the covers. I need to get one of each, for each outlet in my music room, and to be safe, a few extras to "carry around". The $150 cord is a given, but don't you think I'd need more than one of those, as well? At least I've got the last few feet covered with MO#@*#R bass cables. Boy, I had no idea how much extra money it costs to be a bass player, I'd better go out and get a job or something.

19. [​IMG]

20. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.