Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power choices for the NV425

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peg_legs, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    My original plan was to power the NV425 with an RBI preamp and a Crest CA6 or some other similar Pa amp. Now I'm on the fence between using the RBI/PA amp setup or an all tube head like the Traynor YBA 200 or a used MESA. I've already got the RBI. My concern with the YBA is volume. Any suggestions?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not played through the YBA 200, but IME, the NV series just loves all-tube heads. If the budget allows, the Sadowsky SA200 is definitely top dog in the tone department (only my V8 comes close), but a Bass 400/400+ would make a nice match and not break the bank.

Tom.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The 400/400+ would be a good solution in my book. I use a 400+ with a NV610 and think they work very well together.

4. And I really dig my Peavey Classic 400 on mine. I've heard that the RBI and a power amp matches up pretty well if you can't go all tube.

Jeff

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

All-tube would probably be the bomb, but I can say that RBI + NV610 is a fantastic match.

Perhaps you tube amp owners can comment on this: my only concern about a 200W all-tube amp is that the amount of warmth/overdrive might change drastically depending on the situation: e.g. small rehearsal/jam versus loud rock gig. I'm probably more concerned than most, because my bass rarely goes thru the PA.