1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

power chord issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Sep 9, 2008.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi all,

im having a bit of an issue and i wanted to ask you, oh! allmighty-wisdom-givers.

this is the deal: we are 3 bands in a rehearsal space, the other bands are everything but trustable (is that an actuall word?). last time i went in i found my amp knobs weirdly twisted... and i got a not-so-funny feeling (like someone sleeping in my bed... if you know what i mean).

my amp is a roland db-500 (great amp imho, by the way), but some stupid guy at roland thought it would be better not to put a removeable power chord...

i need to restrict access to my amp... but i cant take the power chord with me and i dont really know what to do... any ideas?

THANKS

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    A practice space is just that, a space, imho. Anything of value should not be left there.

A amp cover could help.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would never leave equipment in a practice joint. Once word gets out, they get robbed. Happened to me once...they got my Fender Twin and a powered head. Never again.

4. If your band has your own practise space you are fine, but in a shared practise space if you leave gear there it is likley that others will use it.
    Short of taking out the fuse you should take the thing home if you don't want anyone using it.

And I believe the word you were looking for is "Trustworthy".

5. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    Leave power chords for the guitar people and take the power cord with you.

But seriously: if you'll take your power cord with you, the people using your amp will just probably plug any other available power cord into your amp.

6. blackcolin

blackcolin

Jan 27, 2008
    Chicago, IL
  7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
  8. that thing is pimpin

9. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    You could add an additional power switch (or two) to the back that has to switched-on with the normal on-off switch for the unit to work.

10. I'd take my amp home my friend. When we stop trusting people, is always too late.

11. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    well, thanks all for the ideas,
    the power chord lock looks great, BUT, im in spain, so our power chords are "round" instead of flat... but i´ll try to fin something.

taking the power chord with me cant be done... its not "plugable"... it is fixed to the back of the amp...

taking the amp home is not an option, the idea was to leave all my stuff there, ready for me. i dont have a car and dont want to carry my stuff...

the on of switch in the back might be a nice idea, a LOCK in the back would be great... i just have no technical idea how to do it...

hmm... :scowl: we´re talking about 18 year old punks here... im trying to avoid temptations....

12. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    p.s:

am I being overproctective?

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, it's good and smart to be protective of your gear.

Maybe you could get a heavy canvas bag with grommets (metal-reinforced holes) around the opening, put the bag over the amp, and run a bicycle-type lockable cable through the grommets.

14. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Go to an electrical supply house and get a different style power plug and matching female cord mounted receptacle. Cut your power cord and install them in the break. When you leave, take the section that connects to the wall outlet.

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Get a keyed automotive switch and install that. Cheap and easy.

16. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I thought this thread was about having difficulty playing power chords on the bass.

Power cords are what you plug into your amp head.

Power chords are what metal guitar players use 90% of the time. :D

17. Cut the cable and put the oddest shaped connector you can find inbetween the two pieces. Then take the part that connects to the wall socket home. Quite simple (probably) cheap, and they won't be able to use the amp because chances are they won't have the correct connector.