Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power chords just got easier

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Mar 8, 2002.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    when i got my nice lil les paul copy, i thought it was a great laugh, nice wee 6 string to muck about on, i found i could already play lots of songs that i knew by converting the bass line into power chords, ,i know it's easy but it amused me in my first days,. anyway, i was ;learning toxicity on the guitar for a pal of mine who wanted to try to sing like serge, anyway, the tuning means that power chords are even easier, all you do it lie your index finger accross the desired fret and away you go

just thought i'd share that with you all

Linsa, the red hot bassist

2. Drop D, you mean? I used to be obsessed with it, but now I just use standard, so i don't get confused, and so i can play different barre chords, which in my opinion sound better. Unless the song absolutely needs the simple sound of power chords.

3. Viva la power chord menace!

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Try some open tunings and you can play 6 note chords by barring one fret. I keep one of my 2 guitars in open G tuning (DGDGBd) for slide work.

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000

6. Ahem, he's playing System of a Down... Drop C, please. ;)

7. Oh hey, I forgot. Do you want a really easy power chord that sounds great? My guitarist friend does this: Tune DADAAD. Put one finger across the entire fretboard and play. Voila, power chord. :)

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just "discovered" Drop G through a Bob Brozman bottleneck blues tape - way cool!

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i, personally, prefer open C5...

but i'm in my tool guitar phase, so drop D it is!

10. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    yeah drop c is fun, untill you try to reute your guitar and cos yer maw left it out in the car all niht it is all cold and has condensation on it the freaking D string snaps,

grrrrr,

11. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I hate when strings break, I normally get it right in the middle of recording the best take so far!!! PITA

such is life (Better restock my strings - I feel some recording comming on)

Adios amigos

Krakkers
    :cool: