Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power comparison: SVT-4 vs 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Mar 1, 2005.

1. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I've just about given up on my SVT-4 since I think it sounds pretty horrid IMO. I'm looking into a Mesa 400+. I know the Mesa is rated at 400 watts and the SVT is rated at 1600 bridged, but is it really that drastic? I've been reading up on the Mesa and people generally don't need to turn up past 12 o'clock. Would I be downgrading in this situation?

I have a Modulus Q5 and an Ampeg 810, so don't start making acusations that it's not the heads fault! I'm also getting a Mesa 1516 I found for dirt cheap to see if this helps my problem as well. Power...will I get enough?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Mesa is all tube, so muiltiply its power by about 3 or 4 to get ss equivilant. However, the Mesa is rated at 500 peak, 300 RMS. Remember, 10X the watts = only 2X volume

3. I tried a 400+ at a Guitar Center thu a 410 and i could get a pretty impressive sound. It is true that 1600 watts isnt 4x as loud ad 400 watts, though. i would have bought the 400+ first. it also seems that a lot of people who have all tube amps, which the SVT4-PRO isnt, say they can get them to go pretty loud and cut through a wall of guitars, but im not sure if there stretching the truth or what. Go with what you think is better, good luck.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I would think the 400+ would be loud enough. I don't know how it compares, power-wise, to the SVT-4, but volume shouldn't be a concern. I've never had to turn it up past half-way, and I never get PA support (for indoor gigs, anyways). If you like the tone, I say go for it.

BTW, I use it with the same cab as you. :bassist:

5. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Thanks guys, I'll go test it out tomorrow to make sure I dig the tone :bassist:

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had an SVTII Pro first and it was real nushy sounding, so I gave up on it and got the SVT4 PRO. I liked the sound and it was powerful, but it crapped out, so I got an Eden WT800 and then WT1000&Pre. I always said that my rig was loud, but I had a hard time hearing myself, so I bought a used 400+. Problems solved.... The 400+ has all the right stuff. Power, tone, and cut. I use it with an 8-10 70's Peg cab that I got new speaks for. It NEVER is lost and I usually use it on about 4 with the pre channel on 4, EQ slight boosted. You have to experience this amp. I recomnmed JJ 6L6GC tubes that can be had from www.eurotubes.com and other sources. I also heard that Svetlana (Flying "C") are great also. I am using Sovtek WXT+ now, but plan to put JJs back in when I get my set straightened out. The Mesa amps use top notch parts like ceramic sockets, are very reliable, and are built like tanks. I think the newer Ampeg stuff is not made as well.

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

P.S. The Sovtek tubes remind me on the Ampeg tube sound and are very toneful. I think the JJs are more crisp and dynamic. Kinda like having SS headroom with tube tone. I like both, but headroom rules.