Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Compatability question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Sep 16, 2001.

1. I'm definately at this point going to go MESA for my Cabs. I'm looking at a combo of either 2 4x10s or a 2x15 and a 2x10. If i wanted to do the 2x15 and 2x10 combo, will the setup be able to handle a 1000W power amp? Or will the 2x10, at 300W suffer.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I drive my Carvin 2x10 and Eden 2x15 with my Carvin R1000 head. Both cabinets are 4 ohms each, and I run the amp in stereo, full-range (not bridged). The only thing I have done is insert a high-pass filter into Channel 2's preamp in/out to limit the amount of low frequency power getting to the 2x10, because I crank up the lows quite a bit into the 2x15. While the 2x10 is rated to handle more than 300 watts, I found that dumping a lot of lows into it can cause some damage (coil rub). The 2x15 can handle one side of the R1000 easily, and I occasionally feed it with bridged output from my R600 head.

If your music and playing environment requires strong low fundamentals out into the audience (e.g., without large PA subwoofer reinforcement), then (IMO) a 2x15 will generally do it better than a 4x10.

- Mike

3. The 210 shouldn't suffer at all. In fact, in most cases it is not too much power, but too little power being driven too hard and causing distortion that causes damage to speakers. 1000w into a 215 and a 210, that sounds fine, and you should be able to get it up pretty loud. With amps, the more headroom you have (which is in a simple sort of way the amount more power that your amplifier can provide than your speakers can handle) the better off your setup will be. It will run cooler and with less distortion. But, don't go crazy and crank it up all the way all the time, but with that setup all the way is like too loud.

DingZ2