Power conditioner questions....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monkey, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I went to the local music store to look for a power conditioner for my new rig (rack-mounted Yamaha CP2000 poweramp and a Sansamp RBI preamp). The salesman told me that power conditioners are not made for power amps and that I shouldn't use one, or I might damage my amp. I've never heard that one before; is it true?

I used the SEARCH feature and many people said a good power strip with a high joules rating will work just as well. What is considered a high joules rating?
  2. B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I could be wrong, but I've never heard that either. I've no problems with my Hartke 4000 going through a Juice Goose power conditioner.
  3. That power conditioner raises questions. Or maybe the guy was just an idiot.
  4. The guy's an idiot. I've run a power amp off a DC to AC inverter, which is about the worst "AC" you can deliver.

A well made power amp's power supply will squash most if not all electrical noise, so whether a power conditioner will help deliver a better sound, is debatable. But a power conditioner can help reject harmful power surges, so I use one.
  5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I decided to install a garden variety power strip into my rack instead of a power conditioner. I don't necessarily believe the salesman, but I've heard many people on TB say that they don't make a ton of difference.
  6. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I can see a power conditioner not being much more than a rack mounted power strip, but the idea that it could actually "harm" a power amp seems ridiculous.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I just don't understand how this is possible.
  7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I doubt that a power conditioner will offer any noticeable benefits for solid state equipment, but I think tube gear is more susceptible to fluctuations in voltage and can benefit from a decent power conditioner. Most commercial rack-mount units are not "power conditioners", but merely surge protectors. A power conditioner regulates the voltage to ensure a constant voltage regradless of fluctuations.

I've played in clubs and restaurants where the cycling of the coolers or the kitchen equipment causes huge fluctuations in the line voltage, and can thus effect the performance of an amplifier. Thus, I use an outboard power conditioner/voltage regulator with my Aguilar DB-928 all-tube preamp.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A power conditioner won't harm a power amp, but for any well-designed power amp it would be mostly superfluous.