1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Conditioner / Tuner Combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shreave, Mar 29, 2004.

1. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Anyone ever hear of a power conditioner / tuner combination that will fit into one rack space? I could use one....
    :bassist:

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
  3. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I have the aforementioned Furman PL Tuner. It does indeed have a power conditioner and a tuner. The one thing I don't like about it is that the tuner will not pick up my low B string. This has pretty much rendered the tuner portion of the gear useless for me. I now have to use a seperate pedal tuner to be able to tune all 5 strings. As long as your using a 4 string bass you shouldn't have any problems.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    For what its worth... I use a furman pl-plus power conditioner and I plan on getting a Boss TU-2 pedal tuner to use in shows. I almost got a rack tuner, but I'm liking the idea of being able to tune without turning my back to the audience between songs. For practices I just use a handheld. Good luck.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Assuming a properly intonated bass, the PL Tuner works just fine on the B string at the 12th fret.

6. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Thanks for the info. Looking at the Furman tuner, it seems that it would be a pain to see those small LEDs from more than a few feet away. Right now I use a hand held boss tuner going through my effects loop and that works great propped on top of my rack case. I think what I had in mind is one of those rack tuners with the big swooping LED arrays that secondarily has a couple power plugs in the back for my power and pre amps. I'm afraid to go with a pedal tuner because I hate having to worry about 9v going out. I just turn off the boss tuner when I'm not using it. I guess the moral of the story is don't fix it if it ain't broke...

As for tuners not picking up tones below E, I often tune my 4 string E to low D in mid-set and my Boss tuner won't hear it either. What I do is tune the string off the 5th fret harmonic.

7. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I have and use a PL-Tuner. It's no problem tuning from a distance, actually, and I've found it to be accurate enough for use in a band situation. The unit does seem to have trouble tracking an open low-b string, but I use harmonics to tune and everything works out just fine...