Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Conditioner / Tuner Combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shreave, Mar 29, 2004.

1. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Anyone ever hear of a power conditioner / tuner combination that will fit into one rack space? I could use one....
    :bassist:

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
  3. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I have the aforementioned Furman PL Tuner. It does indeed have a power conditioner and a tuner. The one thing I don't like about it is that the tuner will not pick up my low B string. This has pretty much rendered the tuner portion of the gear useless for me. I now have to use a seperate pedal tuner to be able to tune all 5 strings. As long as your using a 4 string bass you shouldn't have any problems.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    For what its worth... I use a furman pl-plus power conditioner and I plan on getting a Boss TU-2 pedal tuner to use in shows. I almost got a rack tuner, but I'm liking the idea of being able to tune without turning my back to the audience between songs. For practices I just use a handheld. Good luck.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Assuming a properly intonated bass, the PL Tuner works just fine on the B string at the 12th fret.

6. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Thanks for the info. Looking at the Furman tuner, it seems that it would be a pain to see those small LEDs from more than a few feet away. Right now I use a hand held boss tuner going through my effects loop and that works great propped on top of my rack case. I think what I had in mind is one of those rack tuners with the big swooping LED arrays that secondarily has a couple power plugs in the back for my power and pre amps. I'm afraid to go with a pedal tuner because I hate having to worry about 9v going out. I just turn off the boss tuner when I'm not using it. I guess the moral of the story is don't fix it if it ain't broke...

As for tuners not picking up tones below E, I often tune my 4 string E to low D in mid-set and my Boss tuner won't hear it either. What I do is tune the string off the 5th fret harmonic.

7. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I have and use a PL-Tuner. It's no problem tuning from a distance, actually, and I've found it to be accurate enough for use in a band situation. The unit does seem to have trouble tracking an open low-b string, but I use harmonics to tune and everything works out just fine...