1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Conditioner??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turtle71, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    This question could have gone in a few different categories, but I figured it may fit best in amps??

OK, So I bought a new rig that has a GK 1001RB-II head, this is obviously a rack mount head, and I've already ordered a new rack case for it.

My question is...I'd like to buy a new rack mount power conditioner, I'd like just a "basic" one, meaning, I don't care if it has a light module or other "fancy" stuff. All that's going to be plugged is obviously the amp, and the cord that feeds my pedal board, and perhaps a wireless at some point too.

I don't want to spend a ton, but at the same time, I don't want total crap either.

I've looked at a few, but honestly, I hoping for a few recommendations from you guys, one's worth looking at, and maybe some to stay away from.

I'd like to keep the purchase around $125, but I can spend more if need be.

Thoughts??

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Just me, but I haven't used a power conditioner in many, many years... one less thing to lug around... don't really think they're all that necessary. Not what you were asking but there it is.

3. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Some aren't worth the extra weight, some are worth their weight in gold.
    I don't understand the technical details.

I have a Furman P-1800 PF and have had people laugh at me saying it doesn't do anything but you know what? Without it I have a terrible hum in my home studio and that Furman box makes the room quiet.

4. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I get what your saying no doubt.

But I've played more than a few gigs where outlets were a premium on stage, and finding one available is lucky, but finding two?? good luck. Yeah, I could just bring a cheap power strip, but that's just one more thing to lug around :D I'd prefer the "strip" be mounted in the rack.

5. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Right there with ya' :D

That's why I ask these questions here...:D

6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Here's something that I think fits what you're looking for:
    option #1: http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Furman-M8LX-Power-Conditioner-p/m8lx.htm
    option #2: http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Furman-M8X2-Power-Conditioner-p/m8x2.htm

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I bought a really nice rackmountable Tripp-Lite unit which fits horizontally in our PA rack. The wall-warts are less likely to fall out.

Riis

8. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use the Furman PM8 in my rack.

8 outlets in the back controlled by the front switch, and one outlet on the front that's always on (as long as the unit is plugged in).

It also has a voltage meter and an amp meter on the front panel in LEDs - handy information, sometimes.

They're discontinued now, but I've seen them on the used market for ~$90.00

I don't expect that it can/will offer any sort of protection or actual "power conditioning", but it sure helps keep the rack tidy. :)

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You're obviously not looking for a power conditioner. Not for $125. What you want is a convenient, rack mountable "Power Conditioner". So just get whichever $100 unit looks good to you. Or do what I did and find a Furman PL-8 on your local Craigslist for $50.

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I just keep a power strip in my pedal board case.

11. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Glorified rack mount power strip here

12. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    Is all they are but, like a good power strip they are or can also be a surge protector.
    Mine lights up my rack nicely. :D

13. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI

OK, I get it, obviously I misspoke...:spit: :D

It would appear all I really want is a big goofy shiny glorified rack mount power strip to make my rack look a neat and tidy....cuz don't ya' know, the more you stuff in your rack case, the better your playing becomes. :bassist:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check out a few of those suggestions.

14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If normal power surges are the only thing causing problems, almost anything will work. Some have better filtering and some "crowbar" when the voltage gets too high. A basic power strip won't do this and i can save equipment when it shuts down. Furman/PanaMax and TrippLite have some that shut down over 185VAC (Furman/PanaMax) or 200VAC (TrippLite) and turn on when the voltage is back to normal. Much better to shut down than to launch equipment.

15. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Surge protectors are nice Furman makes a few good ones, you could also go with one that is not rack mounted and save some $$$ ...but the surge protector will not protect your stuff from low voltage, which is far more common at bar gigs ... what you shoud get is a voltage regulator ... there is a thread that discussed this http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/power-operating-off-gas-generator-787621/index2.html .... go to post #25 ... you might want to read this thread also http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/need-recomendation-voltage-regulator-915853/ .... and last but also a good read is this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/power-conditioner-questions-908264/

16. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Thank You!