1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

power conditioners? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kingjere, Apr 3, 2006.

1. kingjere

kingjere

Feb 13, 2006
    I recently got a new effects processor and I am getting wicked ground noise with it. I bought a furman power conditioner because i thought they were supposed to fix that, but it was no help. Any help on how to get rid of the noise and an explanation as to what exactly a power conditioner does would be great. thanks....

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    1. It's not a good idea to buy something before knowing what it does.

2. A power conditioner, not to be confused with an attenuator, makes the power more stable and is useful in areas like LA or New York where the power can be very uneven.

If you listen to some, it does a huge difference, but the vast majority of people experience no difference at all. A noise caused by an effect (or effects chain), I would venture, could never be solved by a power conditioner. They're used more if you always experience problems with static and noise no matter what bass or amp you're using.

-Eric.

3. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I use these on both of my PC systems; they run about $125:
    They pull up or bring down the voltage when you have brownouts or surges. Wouldn't run my computers without em....

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=208

Premium automatic voltage regulation (AVR), power conditioning and AC surge suppression
    Maintains regulated 120V nominal output over an input range of 89 to 147V
    1200 watt / 10 amp capacity
    4 NEMA 5-15R outlets, 6 foot AC cord
    LEDs display incoming voltage range, surge suppression and line fault status
    $25,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance (USA, Puerto Rico & Canada only)

Regards,

Mike

4. This is a common misconception that is unfortunately propogated not just on the internet, but also by so-called knowledgeable music store staff.

When you say "ground noise" what do you mean exactly? 60 cycle hum? Most of the time this is the problem people describe, and it's caused by the fact that effects units ground is connected via it's power supply or power cable to the same ground as your amp.

But, this in itself is not a problem, the issue arises because the ground is ALSO connected via the signal cable to your amp. Now, both your amp and your FX processor have two connections to the same ground point. This means you may have a "ground loop."

The proper solution is to use an isolation transformer on the signal path from FX to amp. The quick and dirty solution is to make (alter) a special cable that has the ground (shield) disconnected at the FX processor end.