Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Conditioners. -searching for meaning in a world of deception, hum and RFI.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Mr. Freaky, don't know where this goes- sorry if I chose the wrong forum.

I searched for power conditioners and got a lot of posts telling me that they are nothing more than glorified power strips. Are there any that actually help? Would I be just as well off with the $40 unit as with the $200 one? Or a 10$ power strip? Is there one that regulates voltage that is rack mountable and not half a grand? Is it all a bunch of B.S.? Thanks!

2. Ok people, lets get this straight. Just because it goes in a rack, does NOT mean it's an effect, mkay?

Edit: Sorry bliss, i'm just in a bad mood tonight.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I made the same decision 6 months ago and decided on the $40 one. Most modern power amps will go into protect mode and shut themselves down if the power is wonky.

Most "conditioners" are glorified power strips w/ a simple breaker. Mine is 15 amps. Some of the computer oriented power strips come w/ a guarantee w/ $X of replacement in case a surge kills your gear. The catch is the strip has to be plugged directly into the wall, no extension cords. Add a bit more money and some rack units will give you lighting for the front of your rack, which can be handy. The next level up adds a power meter, which tells you how much juice is coming out of the wall. This is also useful, but might not really protect anything unless you turn it on 1st, without turning everything else on, to check the wall voltage. I bought a $5 plug unit at Lowe's for this function. The next level up is when you finally start getting real protection. True uninterruptable power supplies are expensive and very heavy.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    that's fine Freaky, I actually thought to myself, "Well, this seems wrong but it does go in a rack....".

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Yeah, that's about what I thought. thanks.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think a good quality power strip is fine. In my case tho, I bought a power conditioner. Only because I was tired of the empty spaces in my rack. I bought one from Odyssey. It changes between three different colours.

It's cool.

-Mike