Power Conditioners - What to look for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockindoc, Jun 1, 2003.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I'm wondering what specs. to look for, or if they're all pretty much the same. Some retailer's descriptions are pretty vague, and draw more attention to the pretty lights and meters, while never mentioning the unit's actual capabilities.

The only feature(s) I must have: an unswitched plug on the front. And (I guess) a front mounted circuit breaker.

I assume they all have EMI/RFI filtration (One in particular advertises 20 dB reduction). Most units have 15 amp capacity (is this "enough"?), 20 for some. Then there's "three way spike protection" (sounds a little kinky). :confused:

Which, if any, of these things are important?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    They're all about the same, so don't spend too much money on them. The "protection" and emi/rf filtering they promise isn't really anything better than what's found in a good over the counter power strip. When you get in the REGULATORS, then your talking actual protection. But those are pricey, around $400 or so typically.

As for amp load, consider this. I run a QSC PLX 3002 power amp, an Eden Navigator preamp, Korg rack tuner, and my power line to my pedal board all off of my Furman PM-8. The load meter usually shows "less than 2 amps", and only clicks active at 2 amps when I'm pumping loud notes. You'll likely never approach anything even close to 4 amps with a bass rig. 15 rating will be plenty.
  3. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    From what I have read from several recording forums it seems that the furman conditioners are just glorified power strips that dont really do much to condition your power. The folks in the recording forums seem to be using powervar conditioners. They even claim it has a better noise floor so there gear sounds a little better. www.powervar.com. Here is another description of them, scroll down http://www.flash.net/~motodata/patchbays/power.html
    I use one for my home studio gear:amp, mixer,mic pre-amps, compressors, monitors, keyboard and my GK1001RB and it works fine. It is a heavy little sucker though.