Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Conditioners - what's your experience?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm finally putting together my "dream" stack, and since I have a few $$$ invested, I'm including a power conditioner. What do some of the "pros" here think about this gear? Seems to me to be an automatic...what should I look for?

Thanks in advance guys...

So far, the stack includes:

Ampeg SVT4-Pro
    Furman PM Pro II (Power Conditioner)
    DBX 120A Subharmonic Synth
    Korg DTR-2000 Tuner

2. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Furman just released a combination power conditioner/regulator all together in a 1-space rack unit. That's for me!

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well this really belongs in misc but my 2 cents..........
    opinions vary as to the effectiveness of power conditioners. i use a pl-pro as it has much more protection circuitry than the lower line. plus, it's just convenient to have it in the rack. i dunno if you already bought all of that stuff, but i'll say that i really didnt liek the korg rackmount tuners as they were just too accurate and no matter how soflty i plucked the strings the tuner was all over the place. i got a boss tu-2 stomp box for 100 bucks and like it much better. but if the tuner does it for you, cool! I never used the dbx unit, so i can't comment. What are you using for cabinets?

4. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm w/out right now...using my old Peavey combo for a couple more weeks til tax time...then I'm buying a Schroeder 21012 cab.

Part of what I'm trying to do is cut down any ambient signal...I am using a Boss NS-2 for now but am working on a couple different things to clean that up (better equipment, better technique) as I think the payoff (cleaning up the noise) cuts my sustain notably when my signal drops below "x" level. I'm looking at noise gates as well...

Thanks for your input!

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    99.9 percent of the noise in your system comes from EMI that your pickups receive, and no power conditioner can do anything about it. Get a good (rackmount) compressor with a downward expander and install it in your pre/power amp loop. Power conditioners in general that retail for less than $200 or so do practically nothing, and you're paying most of the price for the case, outlets and switches, about five bucks for the actual noise reducing components that you amp probably already has in it.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    well i will respectfully disagree with bill.

your series 2 furman does actually give decent long term surge protection unlike pretty much everything else on the market with the series design.

for a good mov-based surge protector from a company like tripplite you pay anywhere from $50-$100. of course whether or not this is worth it is debatable, but for people like me it is, just in case of a power spike, etc (why not if we're using thousands of dollars/euros/etc)

so you figure the ubiquitous surcharge for moving to a rackmount design, tack on maybe $20 for the pull out light feature, and maybe a volt and ammeter along with the convenience of plugging in only one plug into an outlet, and using one switch to power on/off the whole rack, and a price around $150-$200 isnt TOTALLY a rip-off. just a partial one that i'm willing to buy into. :)

now the dtr2000, which i actually own, hehe in retrospect i would've gone for the dtr-1000, but thankfully i snagged a great price on a 2ndhand one, but thats probably at least as much of a rip off, as the stompbox boss tuner seems to be a great unit thats much more worth its asking price.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Even at Rat Shack prices MOVs go for no more than a couple of bucks apiece. If that's the only mode of protection you're getting from any device that retails for more than $30 or so the answer to whether you're getting ripped off is a resounding yes.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    the problem with that bill is that the series 2 furman units don't use MOVs..like i said, they use a series design with a LC filter