Power conditioners...why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Mar 16, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I can guess easily enough what a power conditioner's function is in a bass rig. My question pertains to how necessary it is. Is there a certain point where a power conditioner is necessary? Or just a good idea? Is it just for sound quality control or for damage prevention as well?
  2. A power conditioner is useful in situations where the venue you are at has REALLY crappy power regulation (dimming lights, brownouts, etc.) and can serve to protect your equipment from cutting out if the power goes too low, or being frapped if the spikes on the line get passed your equipments built-in power conditioner.

It can also make equipment with really poorly designed power supplies sound better by keeping the line at a constant 117, 120 or 240 volts (depending where you are).

If you are touring, it's a good idea.

If you play locally and your power is good, it may be a waste of money.
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You can do fine with a power strip.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Only voltage regulators keep the voltage constant. Most power conditioners are basically glorified power strips with EMI/RFI filtering.
  5. Then you haven't tried the new SOLA conditioners, they do wunderbar for the computer ;)
  6. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I own a office equipment company & have to put protection on our copiers, faxes & printers.

A "true" power conditioner or voltage regulator would work fine. However, as has been stated, most of the ones on the market are glorified power-strips & of no value. You get what you pay for & it's a small investment to protect your equipment. Expect to easily pay over $100 plus for something that actually works.
  7. I figure any power conditioner by Furman is the way to go.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    No I haven't. I was referring more to the power conditioners directed towards musicians such as Furman ones. IIRC all the RackRiders and PL series power conditioners don't regulate voltage.