Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power conditioners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Are they just the same as surge protectors (with the other 3 pronged sockets)

And are they needed for bigger amps (tube amps at that) ?

- Will

(not sure if this is the right forum or not, hope it is)

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    TBO Will, they are not really needed over here in the UK. I have never seen a band using one here. Is it because the US has a supply more prone to noise?

They are surge protectors, and supply 'cleaners' removing noise, spikes and surges.

3. Ah right, cheers, i wasnt too sure, ive never used one with my peavey setup, but was just wondering, cus nearly all US rack amps ive seen have been with power conditioners, so, you've probably got it right, cheers dood

4. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    You can research this question right here on this forum. Thats what I did - tons of info. The general consensus is that they are glorified power strips, unless you spend several hundred dollars on the ones with the advanced features. I decided that it wasn't worth the expense - to me extra cables and strings are more practical.

Convenient? Sure. Necessary? With a powerstrip/breaker probably not.

5. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I was looking for a power conditioner a while back, and a friend of mine (who's done mixining, live sound, and recording engineering with the likes of Marilyn Manson (yechh!), Nine Inch Nails, Axyl Rose, and Brian May, amongst others) told me to get a voltage regulator. It does all the things a power conditioner does (protects against spikes, surges, tells you what voltage you're operating at, etc.), but also keeps your voltage constant. What this means is I get pure clean power at a constant voltage (120V in my case). I'm using a Furman AR-1215 which my friend recommended, and I've got no complaints. It is more expensive, but worth it IMHO if you're looking for power protection for your rig.