power conditioners?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lacatts, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Do I really need a power conditioner to protect my Aggie db750 and my Eden wt550? Would it really stop the buzz from the neon Budweiser signs? If I need one for each amp, is Furman really the best, or just the most expensive? I have seen some for half the price of Furman, but I don't really know if I need one at all.
    Thanks for your input, opinions, etc.
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Good question. I'd like to learn more about this myself...

3. bassman_2_1

Dec 31, 2005
    yes i have been looking at buying a power conditioner for my rack, but there seems to be a limeted variety in the uk for power conditioners, i think this is mainly due to the fact we have better power supply than america, but i am looking at buying a conditioner still, and not sure about furman? if you check there web site they claim that their conditioners will make you amp sound harmonically better and clearer? but alot of these are only available for US vlotage, i think there should be more posts on this subject!!! anyone got any more info?

also if anyone out there uses them in there rack let us know which ones and how you rate them :D
  4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Power conditioners are basically surge protectors. They really aren't that different from a power strip you would buy for your computer.
  5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Save your self some time, money and rack space. Buy your self a nice power strip that has a circuit breaker that you can reset. That way you always have a power conditioner no matter what rig you take to the gig.
  6. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    If you really cherish your equipment I would burn up the 1U and purchase some technology that will protect and enhance your rig, I own the Furman PF PRO R and it is the added piece of mind that I require given all the greenbacks I have dumped into my system. The protection technology is cutting edge and the 45amp reserve is a bonus when your power factor takes a dump (it happens alot) and my tone never suffers. Its pricey although definetly worth it!:cool:
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Has anyone who would know what they're looking at (ie an EE) actually opened up a Furman or similar and taken a close look at what's inside?
    From the descriptions and specs I can only guess, a circuit breaker, some filtering and some surge protector/varistors attached to a powerboard. Anything else?
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For the record, a power conditioner and a surge protector are not the same. Surge protectors you buy at places like Home Depot are not going to do for you what a power condtioner will do.

I also wondered what all the hype was about power conditioner, so I went out and bought one for my rack. It was a nice piece of gear, but it did not improve my tone or volume. They are not supposed to do that. A power conditioner will do exactly what it says, ensure that each piece of equipment plugged into it receives a clean electrical signal consistently. I don't know about you, but the places I play at are fairly new, so this has never been an issue. As a result, I sold my power conditioner to some other dude on TB who wantd to try one out as well.

If you get one, go with Furman. They are ther industry standard for a reason, they work good.

9. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Many cheap power strips are equipped with Metal oxide varistors that are not likely to survive a lightning strike or excess power surge, bring more than one if you plan to gig with these. High end units are equipped with non sacrificial components.
  10. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Interesting... I just did a search, and found a 2500 dollar UPS/Power conditioner. Very nice stuff. One of the main operating principles was the conversion of ac to dc, then back to ac again. Apparently, line noise and such can't really cross through the DC section... Interesting.
  11. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

This gear has power smoothing circuitry built in (anyway, the boxes that would work at this power level are big, heavy and expensive). But a circuit breaker strip is a good idea ... I use Belkin.
  12. bassman_2_1

Dec 31, 2005
    thanks for the post on this subject guys, i am from the uk, i still cant really find any good power conditioners avaliable to me, as the Furman PF PRO R is not avilable for uk yet :( this looks a good one and i found an article in bass player about this conditioner. but there are plently of cheap conditoners available to me which i dont wanna buy :D

interesting point that line noise cant travel through DC conversion :D also about the cheap componets used on some power stips too, thanks guys

ps-- what furman power conditioner would you buy that is available to uk?
  13. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Will the PF PRO E work in the UK, it is listed under international on the Furman Website and appears to have a different plug style from our yankee version.:ninja:
  14. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Here is a contact for furman products in the UK

kelseyweb.co.uk P: +44 (0) 1932 886060
    F: +44 (0) 1932 885565 :hyper: