Power Conditioning

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by westland, Oct 9, 2005.

1. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
  2. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    First of all, let me say this should be in amps.

While power conditioners can make a nice clean sine out of a distorted one, what difference does it make. All non-PFC'd gear is very nonlinear in terms of current draw, power line distortion really doesn't matter. Besides, properly designed gear has plenty of filtering in it.
  3. Remember the AC power is converted to DC and then filtered in the power supply. I don't think any of these "asymetrical waveforms" and whatnot survive that process anyway. My guess is they would mean squat by the time you convert it to DC. Its way easier to clean any remaining artifacts up on the DC side of the power supply, not the AC side.

What I want from a power conditioner is spike protection. Mine is also a regulator, so it pumps up low voltage, tones own high voltage too.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do nothing much at all to "clean up" the AC waveform. That would be really hard to do with a high current, 15A of AC power. Even cleaning up a low power audio sine wave like that would be difficult.

4. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Good point .. what do you use? Just a standard Furman single rack space PL8 conditioner ? (Or I see that ETA has about the same thing for half the price)