Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power difference on M-Pulse 600 vs. 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, May 31, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I know one's solid state and the other is all-tube, but I don't know the formula to convert the power wattage. I've wanted a 400+ for a while, and I may have an opportunity for a trade, and just wonder if it'd be a good idea.

I'll be using Powerhouse cabs, btw, too... ;)

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    A watt's a watt. 'Nuff said; I won't even go there. :smug:
    I will say that I've never been in a situation where it hasn't been loud enough. I'm sure it would be fine with those cabs.

Still, you should definitely try it out before you make any decisions.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Man, what's up with all the Mesa questions today?

I think the volume difference between the 400+ and the MPulse 600 is negledgable, really. The 400+ is 300w, with peak power of 500w. The MPulse is 600w, with peaks in the 2000 range (I think). If memory serves me right, you have to have 10 times the amount of power to double the percieved volume. So what you are talking about is the amount of available clean power rather than volume. The MPulse will stay cleaner at higher volumes, and you will have a bit more room in your dynamics. The 400+ really starts breaking up at higher volumes, which is part of it's charm. Tube amps sound great pushed; they give a really aggressive, warm tone. The MPulse won't sound so pretty once you get the power amp clipping (which I doubt you'll be able to do without making yourself go deaf first).

Ultimately, it's tone, not power, that's important. I'm a die hard tube guy; just something about the musicality of those circuits gets me every time. The 400+ is a more old school sound, whereas the MPulse is more modern sounding. Different strokes for different folks.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Only real reason I ask is that we were playing a large (baseball field-sized) venue last night, my M-Pulse (600) was at about 1:30/2:00, and sounded like it was just killing my cabs (Mesa PH 1x15 and Aggy 1x12), so I didn't turn it up anymore. We were on an elevated stage that didn't allow for any monitors, as the mains were right beside us on each side, and I had a Marshall 4x12 stack right beside me to the left, and I was having a really hard time hearing myself on stage. I didn't want to turn it up anymore, just because I didn't know what would happen to the amp or the cabs. So, if we're going to be doing venues like that or at least somewhat smaller, there really wouldn't be that much difference in volume between the two amps, except that I could turn the 400+ up pretty much all the way, and it wouldn't matter.

Or, should I just get more speaker space? I'm getting another 1x15 (hopefully) really soon, or should I just go ahead and invest in a 4x10?

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Bro I did a gig last night in a fair sized club. I had my Powerhouse 1000/400+ about 5-7 feet behind me, pointed at my legs, and it was running at around 70% total volume. I still had a hard time hearing it when the Marshall stacks got cranked up through the monitors. Of course, I am probably just going deaf but I just got a little closer to the cab so I could feel it better. If only I could raise that Powerhouse about 2-3 feet higher so it'd hit me in the chest. Hmmmm... :eyebrow:

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    IMHO more speakers are always a good thing, generally should allow you to push more air which is never bad!

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Usually my main guitarist is really good about stage volume, and he was on the totally opposite end last night, so I could barely hear him, and since he was miked up, he didn't have to be that loud. Our singer was doing electric for the first time last night, and wasn't miked, so he had to be loud enough to hear offstage, which I think was most of the problem. But my guitarist buddy and I just quit last night because of the other member's ability to utterly shine at half-assing everything, so it'll probably work out for a 2x15 rig no matter what amp I'm running.

Damn, I just want a 400+. :) I give up the compression and solo features, which I both use, but hell, I've got a SansAmp BDDI for that, and who needs compression on a tube amp anyhow?

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    If you come up to Dallas you're more than welcome to try my 400+ out, I've got more gear than a music store!!! (eagerly waiting for my chance to play Texas Stadium)

-Stu, keep the comments to yourself..you don't help things at all!