Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Differences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daveze, Feb 8, 2004.

1. I have no idea where this topic belongs, I chose this area cause its more amp related than, say, strings. So, mods, if you wanna shift this outta here, feel free.

I possibly have the option of getting a BassPODxt Pro from the US sometime soonish (a mate's dad is heading over there for business), which is good for me cause it'll save me nearly half what I'd pay here for it. However the problem I'm seeing is that Aussie power and US power is different (240V at 50Hz, compared to 110V at 60Hz respectively, pretty sure thats the US specs anyway) and the Pro does the AC/DC power conversion internally (pretty darn sure anyway). So I'm wondering, what can I do about it? I'm thinking I'll need a little chango thingy to convert the power but I haven't seen what I'd need, so I don't know the price (I don't really wanna be spending more than like $50-$100, cause I'm stingy and its probly easier to just wait and get the Aussie version). Or is not a concern, though, somehow, I doubt that one.

I did a search but I didn't find anything, partly cause I'm tired and a bit crook (hence why I'm home, posting now), so it wasn't the most involved search I've performed.

Josh D

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im in australia, (Melbourne to be exact) and ive never had to worry about the wattage conversions. If you dont get any help from this, PM a guy on TB aclled Petebass, he knows alot about power, wattage ect and he is in Australia aswell ;)

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually Kirbs I don't know the answer to this one. My understanding is that you can buy international adapters from Jaycar Electronics (Click Here)

. But all thay do is change the pins on the plug so it fits in the wall. Unfortunately that means that you're allowing a 240v current into a device that's designed to handle 110v. So unless the device comes with a switch that allows for different voltages, you could have a problem.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure but that's my understanding.

Anyone else?

4. Thanks guys. Jaycar will probly be my first port-of-call, seeing as I've also gotta pick up some pickup wire (I'm told they're the guys to see) and also check out a few subs and amps for my falcon. Theres also a sound-guy thats pretty darn knowledgeable on these things, cept he's been on holidays and I haven't seen him in a few months.

What sort of power conditioners are on offer down here? Would they have the power conversion capabilities I desire?

Josh D

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I haven't ever used a power conditioner but the general consensus on this board is that they're just glorified powerboards. Some of the more expensive ones have voltage regulators but that just means that the deliver a constant regulated 240V. That won't help you.

What I think you need is a step-down transformer of some kind, somewhing that will take 240V in but put 110V out. Guess where you can get them? - JAYCAR.

Josh, even though Kirby thinks I know what I'm talking about, I'm a bit out of my depth on this one. So please run everything I say through the guys at Jaycar. I've found them to be pretty good, but remember they are salesmen at the end of the day.

6. I've heard the same about power conditioners, I was just hoping that I might have been able to get one where I could step down the voltage on it. Though I was also thinking if I found one, it'd cost me more than I'd save on the POD in the first place.

I've found the stepdown thingys, they're pretty ugly looking suckers. How much wattage does the POD draw? And I doubt they're gonna do great things for interference neither?

Urgh, plus my mate reckons it'll be a while before his dad heads over. I'm thinking this is just going be an exercise in frustration. Make better bass now, buy POD in Oz, get floorboard from US, maybe get a SansAmp BDI thingy somewhere in between.

Josh D