1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power handling? help O.o

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nutadactyl, Sep 21, 2008.

1. nutadactyl

nutadactyl

Aug 15, 2008
    My amp puts out 700W at 4 ohm, and 460 at 8 ohm's. alot of 1X15 cabs say they have a power handling of like 200-400 watts can't find any higher than that, does that mean i can't use one with my cab? I just don't want anything to explode, if you know what I mean. So basically if the cab says "power rating of " anything below what my head does, can I still use it? Thanks,
    -scott:eek:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Technically speaking you can even use a 1,000 W amp with a speaker rated for 100 W. The thing is you have to be very careful not to send a very high signal into the amp, because then it will push its full wattage into the speaker, damaging it. The amount of wattage an amp puts out is directly proportional to the strength of the signal going into it- a 700 W amp is not putting out 700 W all the time, only when it is being fed a very strong input signal.

So you can use a cab rated for a lower amount if you (a) keep control of your signal peaks and overall level, (b) turn the gain pot on the amp down a bit, and (c) listen carefully to your speakers for any fizzing, flapping, farting, or buzzing noises. If you hear those noises, turn down the level on the amp or the input signal.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

As Bongo said, just listen for the speaker telling you it's working too hard. If it farts out, turn down the bass EQ and the volume.

Most speakers fart out long before they reach their power limit.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good point about the bass EQ! Turning down the lows allows you to keep the overall "loudness" about the same while reducing risk of harm to the speakers.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    My speedometer goes up to 160 MPH. That doesn't mean I have to drive that fast. :eek:
    Not that I could anyway, wind resistance keeps the actual top speed to about 125 MPH. By the same token power compression and displacement restricts speakers to 20 to 40% of their rated power before they run out of steam. If you hear distortion, turn it down.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Wait...my cabinet runs on steam? All this time I thought it was like my gas computer.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably. Most electricity in the US is generated by steam turbines, with either coal or nukes providing the heat to create the steam.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Rick, your amp probably does run on gas, like most of us. I think the steam reference was to do with older tube heads only.