power help- Ampeg v4b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 4, 2001.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I wonder how loud an old Ampeg v4b and an Ashdown 103dB SPL 410 would be. Previously I have run a 300W/410 trace elliot combo and that was enough for me. Is the v4b louder???
    Will it be enough for small clubs and partys or even larger clubs?
    What do you think of the possability to ad an active sub to an old tubeamp to make it louder?
  2. I don't know anything about the cabinet you mention, but I own a V4B and used it for gigging with no PA support for years. I used a "sugar scoop" single 18" speaker that was efficient as hell. I was always plenty loud and low, even outdoors.

I don't know if the 103 dB is it's max volume at max power, or if it is the output at 1W at 1m away. That will make a big difference.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nope, should be about the same or even a bit less.

Yes, unless you need really massive stage volume.

It won't get much louder. The sub only adds signal to the FUNDAMENTALS of the lowest notes which your ear is not good at picking up anyway. It may sound heavier but not really louder. If you want to be louder, you want more midrange (where the upper harmonics lie) not more deep lows.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The V4B will give you a around 122 dB, probably closer to 120 dB because it's an imperfect world ;)

1W 103dB
    2W 106dB
    4 109
    8 112
    16 115
    32 118
    64 121
    128 124
  5. An easier way--

when you increase the power by a factor of 10, you add 10 dB.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Damn, forgot that - sorry :oops:

I was in a hurry when I wrote that one...
  7. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    I've used a 72' v4b for years and it's always been loud enough in small to medium size venues.
    It just growls so pur-dee. ;-)