Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Hungry/Should I do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Jan 10, 2001.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OK here goes,
    My current rig is:
    Ampeg solid state head 350W into 4 ohms
    So that means I'm putting 175w into my 8ohm 1-18 cab (it's rated at 175watts so that's cool)
    and 175w into my 8 ohm 410 cab (it's rated ate 400w RMS,hmm seems like I'm underpowering this cab)

Here is what I'm thinking about doing.
    Loading a Carvin 4ohm 800watt 18 (that I already own) into my 1-18 cab and letting the ampeg send all of it's 350watts to it. Then getting a power amp that will send about 400 watts at 8 ohm into my 410 cab (Carvin makes a power amp that sends 450W bridged into 8 ohms and it only costs around $370.)

Seems like this would more than double my wattage and solve my under powering to the 410 cab without spending alot of money.

Should I do this? Or will I just be buggering up an already great sounding (if somewhat underpowered) rig?

btw the band I play with is pretty darn loud and I feel like I could use a little more power in some situations

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Oh BTW I would still run this rig full range I don't have any desire to split the signal High/Low, I like the way my setup sounds as is.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I think your idea is good, except it depends a lot on the relative efficiency of the two cabinets and the overall balance you're after. Let's say your 4x10 is 3 dB more efficient than your 1x18. And let's say you want as flat a full-range sound as possible from the whole rig. Then you'll probably want to run more power into the 1x18 (around twice as much, in fact, to offset its 3 dB lower efficiency). If you were to bi-amp and send only the mids-highs into the 4x10, I doubt you would need anywhere near the power you'd send to the 1x18, depending on the crossover frequency and the balance you want. Noting that you like running both cabinets full-range (which is probably a good idea, if the 4x10's can handle the lowest frequencies), and noting its 8-ohm impedance, your idea is probably the most sensible one. If your 4x10 had been 4 ohms, I would have recommended running your Ampeg's 350 watts into the 4x10 and getting an even bigger amp (500-600 watts) to feed the 1x18 (BTW, I have a Carvin 1x18 and it needs LOTS of power because it's not that efficient). Note that your 4x10 may actually be *many* dB more efficient than your 1x18, so you might want to think about this. You could try reversing the set-up and run the Ampeg into the 4x10 (yes, less than 350 watts into 8 ohms) and power the 18 with the other amp - see how the balance sounds to you.

- Mike