1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

power/impedance help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skanto, Jan 22, 2012.

1. skanto

skanto

Jan 18, 2012
    I realise this question has probably been asked and answered many times before here but I haven't been able to find an answer using the search function and I'm still not 100% sure about how the whole power/impedance thing works, so here goes:
    Will running a head that puts out 450w at 4 ohms through 2 8 ohm cabs at 200w and 250w cause any damage to either head or cab?

2. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Each cab will get 225w. Put the 200w cab on top of 250w so you can hear it. If it starts to ''cry'' don't add any more volume and everything will be fine :)

3. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Probably not.
    I guess you wire the 2 8ohm cabs in parallel.
    If both cabs would have the same impedance response(probably not) the amp would put out 225 watts to either cab.
    I don't know what cabinets you are talking baout, but most pro stuff that can handle 200watts will probably have no problem with 225 watts (this would fall within the normal tolerances)

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  5. skanto

skanto

Jan 18, 2012
    Thanks guys, all a bit clearer now :)

billfitzmaurice: I'm viewing the forum on the android app, for some reason that thread didn't show up in the search, thanks though.