Power Junkies- lab.gruppen Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 17, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've never heard of lab.gruppen amps before this month. Apparantly they haven't been available in America long, or won't be for a little bit. The fP 6400 is lab.gruppens flagship amp. (Or, at least, their biggest one.) The specs:

2 x 2300W @4 ohms, 2 x 3200W @2 ohms, 10 kg (22lbs)

Live Sound Magazine tested the specs, and they all check out, with a flat response.

And, in case you missed it, 22 pounds!!! Yeesh. Sure, these are designed for heavy-duty sound reinforcment, but just picture one of those bad boys driving a line of 8x10s. Now THAT'S a backline.
  2. Superduck,

Labgruppen has been a well respected brand of amplifiers over here in Europe for quite some time and although I have no first hand experience with them, I hear they are as good as they come.
    For other ridiculous amps, check out the Digam series digital amps by Powersoft...........

Cheers rody
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Dang, man, Europe gets all the good gear, and all the good cars. Oh well.
  4. Yeah, but we also get to pay twice as much for gear from QSC and the like........

Cheers rOdy
  5. Lab-Gruppen does OEM stuff for some european speaker manufacturers as well. Another European beast is the L'Acoustics LA48. Again 10kg and stupifyingly powerful. 2400W/side at 4 Ohms, I believe. I used 12 of them to power a V-DOSC rig in a 10000 seater with a fairly loud rock band (Blue Rodeo). I never saw an amp go above -20dB all night. that includes the subs and my pants were moving 120ft back at FOH position.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Mark Reccord? Never heard of him. ;)

My first thought was "Hey! That ass stole Spacegoat's avatar!"
  7. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Those are some very interesting products. I've recently purchased a digital hybrid amp for my Hi-Fi and the sound is absolutly stunning. Most noticable is the mid and low bass definenition and control. I'm not sure if this is a generaic characteristic of all digital amps since the design of the input and output stages seems just as improtant. A high output pro version of my hybrid would be great.

The Digam, www.powersoft.it at 1050W into 8ohms, 2300W into 4ohms, 9.5Kg. and one rack space. their discription of the amps design is to brief to get a handle on its design. But there's an ADA conversion in there somewhere.

The lab Gruppen fp 6400 appeares to be a more traditional switch mode design. www.labgruppen.se