Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power outages??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baba, Aug 14, 2003.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    There are power outages simultaneously in many US cities (Detroit, NY, Cleveland, others..) as well as Ottowa and Toronto. What the hell is going on? I've got networks crashing all over the country and generators running.

2. I don't know, no power outages in RI

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Damn, my Jersey site is down now!

4. Thankfully most of Quebec is directly linked to the hydro plants so Montreal is fine. Hopefully everything will wrap up soon and not cause too much damage.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    NEW YORK (CNN) -- A major power outage simultaneously struck several large cities in the United States and Canada late Thursday afternoon.

Cities affected include New York; Boston, Massachusetts; Cleveland, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Toronto, Ontario; and Ottawa, Ontario. The power outage occurred shortly after 4 p.m.

Much of Midtown Manhattan and Wall Street were shut down, including all area airports and the Long Island Railroad. The airports were operating on back-up power and operations were reported to be normal, officials said.

The New York City Police Department said they were trying to determine what happened. A Con Edison transformer on East 14th Street in Manhattan was afire, CNN learned.

Thousands of people could be seen leaving buildings and walking into the streets. New York subways were reported stopped and people were trapped in the cars.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    msnbc.com:

FEDERAL POWER REGULATORS did not identify the power plant, but CNN reported that a fire had been reported at a transformer at the Consolidated Edison plant in New York City. Most of the affected cities are linked on the same regional power grid.
    Officials of the Homeland Security Department said there were no indications that the blackout was the work of terrorists.
    The evening rush hour was just beginning in the East, and NBC correspondents described scenes of pandemonium as thousands of New Yorkers streamed into streets where traffic signals were not operating.
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said it was crippled. Buses, trains and subways were not running. WNBC-TV reported that fire crews were heading down into the subways to check on thousands of stranded passengers.
    Jim Tsumi of Riverdale, N.Y., was sitting on the shoulder of Highway 495 leading to the Lincoln Tunnel.
    “I got no hope getting home tonight,” he said, pointing across the river at Manhattan, where the West Side Highway and a two-mile traffic jam were clearly visible. “It’s like 9/11 again. I hope this is nothing big.”

7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Power is out here near Detroit. I'm at work on back-up generator.

If the power doesn't come back on by tonight, I'll have to drag out the acoustic...........;)

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    driving in big cities HAS to be hell...

just look at one pic form new york

[​IMG]

The caption is- "Thousands of New Yorkers flooded streets where traffic signals were not working."

sheesh:meh:

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    You got that right ! It's bad enough when the traffic signals ARE working!

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm on a conference call with people in all the effected US cities. NYC is in bad shape.

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Anyone know the stock symbol for Caterpillar Diesel generators? :D

12. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I think some lightbulbs are starting to go off in future terrorists' heads.:ninja:

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I thought a lot of traffic signals and stuff ran on solar power....:rolleyes::meh::mad:

guess not.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I said a quick prayer for all of the people who live in the inner city areas affected by this outage.

Let's hope people don't start looting and vandalizing after dark.

Hope everyone is OK.

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah i was thinking about that too...this could evolve into a much more serious problem

16. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    did you guys ever see that episode of 3rd watch? (i dont know where its from, it may not exist in the states.) when the power was out all night?? it was hell for em...
    anyway... yah, some terrorist may be getting good ideas from this. look how dependant we are on electricity. worse than gas or anything else!

17. and that is the problem

this makes terrorists say, "hey alls we gotta do is take out that one power grid, no biggie!"

we really have to start watching our backs in these areas better. this shows yet another huge flaw in our systems here.

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Ditto on the prayers.

The way I see it, the looters and vandals won't have much of a chance. There will probably still be thousands of people in the streets.

19. Taken from CNN.com

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I live in NW Ohio, and while our power wasn't outted for a long time, shortly after 4:00, I was sitting in my room browsing the net. The woman was in the other room starting up her computer, when I heard a loud rumbling sound, the lights dimmed and everything turned off. A few seconds later, it came back on, and we both restarted our computers, when it happened again. I took off running into her room to see what the noise and problem was, and told her not to try to start her computer again, since it seemed pretty obvious there was some kind of electrical problem with it lol.

Then I turned on the news. (ohh) We had 2 massive surge spikes, but my surge protectors did their job. Funny thing is, about 10 minutes prior, I was jamming through my rig, and had just shut it down and unplugged it from the wall!!! :eek:

We've been pretty trouble free since, but about 60 miles north, Toledo is still out of power, and is 90 miles east in cleveland. Just heard on the news, Cleveland has just posted a 9:30 curfiew for the night. I sure hope the people in these cities don't use this for an excuse to act like a bunch of heathans.

Any possible connection to the computer virus' circulating recently?