1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Pop P, J, or P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 27, 2009.

1. So... i've just been asked to play in a really cool power pop band. Think 60's pop meets Ramones style punk rock and roll all with a cute girl singer.

Now... up till now i have been a solely crust/doom/heavy musician and my gear reflects that. I have both an Ibanez ATK300 and SRX390. Both active and both with super fat strings for tuning to C standard.

It works out because i have been meaning to get a passive back up bass and this will help me decide easier!

So, I am going with an SX (love em or hate em, prices are RIGHT)... and for this kinda sound, i can't decide if i want to go Precision, Jazz or the old P/J.

Thanks for the help!

While this bass would be mainly for this power pop band, it'd be nice if it could field the rigours of heavyness as well.

I'm leaning twards a P/J... but i am indecisive and that pretty much covers both worlds i suppose...

2. I'll probably get flamed for this, but personally I think the J pickups in the SX's are pretty thin sounding. Especially in the PJ. If it were me, I'd get the P. The P pickpups in the SX's are pretty nice and you wouldn't need to mod it.

3. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    grab a P/J. You can always upgrade the pickups later on...

4. P's are great! but there's something cool about a p/j sound that I just really dig. you can always just turn the volume down on the j . . .

5. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    p/j throw in a quarter pounder j to beef it up

6. P/J. One of the most versatile passive tones out there.

I use one in metal, praise and worship, pop rock. It does it all, and does it well.

7. The other thing about the PJ SX's is that the neck is very baseball bat-like up by the nut.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    any will work.

9. Awesome. You all pretty much solidified it for me!

Now... the hard part... WHICH TO CHOOSE!

But seriously, thanks :)

10. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    i'd go pg with quarter pounder p and j too... monster tone, very versatile, and you will forget your other 2 basses