Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Power Power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rabbit621, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Alright, I use an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro, going through two Ampeg BSE410HE cabs.(8 ohms each) And My head puts out 450 watts in to 4 ohms(2x8ohms) but i dunno, if I should get a higher powered head. It's loud eough when I practice, Loud enough when my band rehearses, and definatly loud enough when we play gigs(the guitarist and I are miked through our PA) But i dunno, 450 watts through 8 10's, it seems kinda...not powerful.

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I don't understand. If it's enough for practicing, rehearsals and gigs .... why getting a bigger rig ?
    Is it a macho kind of thing like "mine's bigger than yours" ? ;)
    Or a show-off manoeuvre ("yeah ... yeah ... I've gpt this and that but, you know, it's like ... weak ") ? :D
    Anyway, if you have enough bucks to please yourself with a bigger rig ... why not ?

3. Well, it's not that, it's just taht i've been told many times that 450 watts through 8 10's isn't enough power, EVEN miked, so i was just getting some of your opinions

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Who in the name of everything that is bass told you that you need more power?? 450 watts through an 8x10 seems like more than enough for most situations.

5. Of all bass cabinet configurations, 4x10s are the most efficient. You have two, which increases efficiency even more (almost twice). With 450 watts cranked, you'll probably easily reach 135 dB. But I doubt you ever need that. So who on earth told you you might be underpowered?

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, but isn't it kinda ridiculous even to consider this statement when you have actual proof that it's wrong? If, as you say, you know from experience that it's loud enough in every setting you use it in, why would you even listen to someone who says it's not enough power?

This isn't to say that you couldn't get a different, conceivably better, sound with a different power setup. But the only real determinant of whether you have enough power is whether your rig actually works well in the settings you use it in. Armchair speculations about what "should" or "should not" be enough power are worthless compared with actual experience.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Put it in perspective. Until 1969, the biggest bass amps you could buy were about 100 watts. The SVT upped the ante and since then power (and volume levels) have been on the rise.

Think about it: how many bass amps do you know of that are OVER 500 watts? Not many!!! That's because most players just don't need that much power!

I bought a 400 watt head 13 years ago and have NEVER repeat NEVER read my lips NEVER have needed more power. Best investment I ever made.

Anyone who says 450 watts into 8-10" isn't going to cut it is either going deaf of is using Acme cabinets in a metal band :)

I will say that many bands play way too loud. True story from a club I attended a few weeks ago: the bass player had a 1000 watt Carvin head driving 15" and 4-10" cabs. As the sound guy was dialing up the bass, I got ot hear what was coming off the stage and it was loud enough to get me to put in my earplugs and I was a good 25 feet away! The guitar player, standing not more than five feet from the bass rig asked for more bass in the MONITORS because he said he couldn't hear it :rolleyes:

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    LOL. I love my Acme, but it sure isn't the most efficient cabinet in the world. Inefficient cabs and bands with high stage volume are about the only two things I can think of that make mondo power *necessary* (as opposed to just desirable).

9. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Mr. Rabbit has a classic case of GAS. Everythings fine but he wants somthing more. We should be nurturing his sickness.

I belive Mr. Rabbit would be the perfect test bunny to buy the new Aguilar hybrid.

10. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I seriously doubt this. A good 8x10, 4x12, 3x15, 4x15, or horn-loaded cabinet would probably do even better, efficiency-wise, for bass guitar.
    - Mike

11. I agree with this one. My Radio Shack dB meter goes with me to every place I jam or gig. It indicates a typical 105 dB(A) intensity at the audience distance.

Yuck.

I wear ear plugs as an audience member, and when I play. 105 dB is too damn loud.

As for power, my cabs are Acme's on Quaaludes... and my SWR 750 driving one in a 10 x 10 foot office, turned all the way up, was not enough to warrant ear plugs. Mine at -7 dB compared to an Acme B-4 II cab. The Acme are -6 dB at 31 Hz. Mine are flat to 31 Hz. Power is the price to pay. I need 1,000 watts to produce 101 dB at 26 feet.

12. Brian, I know this guy he lives just down
    the block from me. He's doing very well in his sign language class he tells me.

Hey Joris man, what's up? I haven't run across you in a while. I hope everything's going well.

13. Brian, I know this guy he lives just down
    the block from me. He's doing very well in his lip reading class he tells me.

Hey Joris man, what's up? I haven't run across you in a while. I hope everything's going well.

All anyone needs is a Bassman 60 and a Jack Casady signature bass, and play Jazz and that funky "Chicken in the bread pan" music like me.
    Hey, at least I can hear my sour notes.

Mike J.

14. How did this thing get posted twice?

Guess I'd better earn my keep around here and become a supporting member. I have learned a lot,
    I must admit.

Mike J.

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to run 475 watts into a Peavey 810 cab. I have to compete with a loud drummer and two guitarists on stage, so our stage volume is quite loud at times. I never, ever had a problem with not having enough power.

Right now I have considerably more power on tap (why I don't know). But I am gonna go back to either another FirebassII head or an SWR sm 400s or something like that.

So, I would think that your 450 watts should be plenty. Unless, of course, you are maybe just looking for an excuse to get something new......:D.

Ryan

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    id say you have ample power, if not more than enough. Ive been running 120 watts into a 600 watt cab, thats right only 120 watts and its been more than enough for small to medium size gigs. Now that I have another 8 ohm cab ill be running at 200 watts, and I still think thats pleanty. I hope to in the near future have at least 400 watts, just for head room purposes.

17. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use 2 118 cabs with a Crown Powerbase3 each and 2 410 on top with a powerbase3 to run both of them. I say go for the juice. But then maybe I am not the one to ask.

Mike

18. I own a swr bass 350, and it is more than enough power. Although after I get reading the posts on TB I always think I need a bigger head like 1000 W or something,

but then I play through my head again and realize I was just a victim of excessive headroom peer pressure. :)

one thing I would like to know is all these people that need all this power are you guys famous playing infront of 1000's or something cause I can't figure this one out?