Power/pre-amp users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Feb 25, 2001.

1. I have expanded my search for a new head to include a power/pre set up. I dont have a lot of experience with the different power amps so I am looking for input on amps that are good sounding, reliable, and powerful( I run 2-4 ohm cabs 600w and 700w)
    I used to use a Crown MT1200 with an Aguilar pre and the crown colored my sound too much. Is this something that I should expect?
  2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use Crown amps as well, but I have the Powerbase 3 for the bottom, and a powerbase2 for the top. I have not hade any problems with tonal coloration, although all amps, power/head, will color your tone in some way.

What about your tone did you not like?

3. I LOVE my tone as it is now. I just have the power to run the cabs I have. In a perfect world I will end up with the little Aguilar pre-amp and a 600-700 watt stereo power amp that doesn't color the beautiful sound of Aguilar
  4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I haven't any experience with the Crown 1500. Could you be more descriptive as to what color is to you. Dry, thin, lacks bottom force, hum? The sound is colored compaired to _______?

What do you hear if you unplug your instrument and turn the volume all the way up?

What kind of cables/connectors are you using? How good is the AC and the ground?

Did you notice this color when you added the preamp? Vacume tube components do roll off sooner compaired to solid state, referred to as a warm sound.
  5. Coloration that I am speaking of is the sound thats goes thru the DI vs the sound that comes out the speakers. I know this is inevitable but it seems to change the whole sound up. Becase sterile, none of the preamps beauty shines thru.

I used banana connectors when I used the Crown 1200 but now I use Monster speaker cable (3').
  6. Nothing colors your sound more than the loudspeakers. I've never heard any substantial difference between two solid state amps (don't give me crap about this) , but HUGE differences between speaker cabs.
  7. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I see, or I should say I hear you Boi5. Your cabinets or any cabinets designed for sound reinforcment are going to color the original sound compared to the instruments output to some degree. With the proper preamp and cabinet you should be able to get fairly close.

My Navigator/Bag End gets close to the sound my old Jazz Bass produces but my upright is another matter. I make the comparisons using a Raven headphone amp or the head phone output on the navigator.

Regarding the differences in sound between solid state, there are. A friend and I auditioned a Mackie and a QSC at GC this afternoon. Each amp driving a bi amped set of JBL PA cabinets. Panning between the two the differences were very apparent.