Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 10, 2002.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm getting an svp pro and i need a power amp. i don't have too much money. i've heard great things about the carvin dcm series, and the qsc rmx series. i've read all the posts on hear about them, and i'm trying to narrow it down between the two. i play in a rock band, and it will be going through a peavey 8x10 cabinet. i'm planning on running it at 4 ohms bridged. my hartke 3500 has always allowed me to compete with 2 marshall halfstacks. i may not have had all the headroom in the world, but i was definately there. so i'm leaning towards the dcm600. is the extra 400 watts really THAT worth it? or should i go with the qsc rmx that's rated at 830 watts at four ohms bridged? like i said...is it really worth it?

http://www.mp3.com/greyam
    new ep "breathe on your own time" available next month on onedaysavior recordings

2. Well let's see. The RMX is more powerful, has a better reputation for reliability, can be repaired in any State you happen to live and it's $20 cheaper. Sure, I'd go with the Carvin.

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    hmmm....i see your point. a guy at my local store said to stay away from them (the qsc). he said they were gonna start stocking them, but he wouldn't have it. i'm thinking about the qsc rmx 850. (i think that's the model #). it's the one that pushes 830 watts at four ohms bridged. do i need special connectors to use this amp. i know with the carvin i can use a speaker cable w/ 1/4 inch plugs, and just press the bridge button to run it through my 8x10 at 4 ohms bridged.

4. The QSC has speaker binding posts and Speak-On connectors, but I shouldn't worry about hooking it up to your speaker cab. There are adaptors that can convert from Speak-On to 1/4" plugs available or you can make your own with a few bucks worth of parts from the electronics store. Or...you can just cut one of the 1/4" plugs off of your speaker cord, strip the wires back and use the binding posts on the QSC.

I don't know what issues your local music store has with QSC, but I don't think I've heard any serious complaints about QSC while the satisfaction rate among Carvin owners seems to run about 50/50 from what I see.

5. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Sorry, but if he said to stay away from QSC he's a dufus. The QSC's that my DJ uses are the only piece of equipment that he's had that has never failed him. His Crowns and Crests have both had problems at some time or another. Were you at Guitar Center? That's what it sounds like.

6. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so is the speak-on connector used to run it at a 4 ohms bridged? that's how i should run it right? then i could just run a speak-on to 1/4 inch cable from the qsc to the cabinet (peavey810) and it would be 4 ohms bridged? do i need to use banana plugs, or the wire posts? decisions...decisions...
    it's between the rmx 850 and the dcm1000.
    ......everything sucks........

7. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    QSC's are good stuff, but most of the carvin complaints around here (at least that I have seen) are with cab's and not power amps. I have an SVP-PRO and I have been using a carvin dcm 1500 for about a year with zero problems. I also bought the amp used at great price. You will be safe whichever way you go I think. Yes the extra power is worth it.

8. You would set the RMX to bridged mode which combines the output of both channels to one Speak-On output (or one set of binding posts + and -). I don't think the 850 uses banana plugs, but I'm not sure 100%.

9. The QSC RMX 850 has both Speakon and binding post outputs that also accept banana plugs in their USA models. In order to run in bridged mode using a Speakon, it has to be wired a little differently from one that is wired for non-bridged operation. This is easy to change, and doesn't require soldering -- the conductors in the cable are clamped in the Speakon connector and secured with allen screws. The RMX 850's manual explains this well, and it can be downloaded from QSC's website. The Speakon connector locks into place, so it can't be jarred out or loosen up, but a banana plug makes bridging very easy. I have both. I made a short Speakon to 1/4" bridging cable for use with my Avatar cabs, and I have a banana to 1/4" adapter to back that up so I can use my 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cables in a pinch.

I bought a used RMX 850 on eBay, and the only complaint I have about it is its weight. Other than that inconvenience, I'm very happy with it.

10. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i don't mind the weight really. so you have to wire the inside of the speakon output differently? what about carvin's...all you have to do there is press a button right? basically if i get the qsc, i'm saving money and getting almost the same power. once it's wired like that...it'll run bridged at whatever ohms my cabinet combination is? so it'll automatically match up with a 4 ohm 8x10, but then later to an 8 ohm 1x15? (in case i use a different cab setup for different gigs)