Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power requirements

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junkstuff1, Aug 6, 2004.

1. junkstuff1

junkstuff1

Jul 25, 2004
    Yesterday I received a Carvin DCM1000 power amp that I bought off eBay. It's in perfect condition.

I have an early 90's Groove Tubes "Studio Series Tube Preamp for Bass" that has an electrical outlet on the back above the power input, so I just plugged the Carvin into that like I'd been doing with my other power amp. I hadn't looked at the manual. I played a 2 1/2 hour gig and everything worked well, even when I tried putting it up to full power at its minimum impedance bridged, but I looked at the manual afterwards and saw this:

"Power Requirements: 120VAC 25 amp circuit minimum."

The power outlet on the preamp is only 9 amps. What kind of trouble can I run into with this set up?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's an interesting quesion................
    what's more interesting is that most circuits in homes are 15 amps
    20 amp circuits are much less common and devices specifically meant for 20 amps have those funny plugs on them with a peice of metal at a right angle on one of the plugs
    30 amp circuits have plugs like you find on your Oven

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's bizarre. I can see specifying an in-line fuse at 25A, but not the whole amp itself.

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    What's more bizarre is that if you look up the amp on the Carvin website, they specifically mention the relay soft-start that allows use on a circuit with 15A breakers!

Hey its only a 1000 watt amp. What can it draw, maybe 1500 to 1800 watts at max power?

I wouldn't plug any power amp thru a "convenience outlet" on a lower power unit though. That one, at 9A, is pretty "powerful", compared to others I have seen, with a 200W limit or the like.

5. junkstuff1

junkstuff1

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks everybody. If I find myself with a shortage of power outlets I think I'll plug my pedalboard into the preamp power outlet rather than the power amp.