Power Slinkys vs D'addario tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sapatown, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Hello!

Im gonna buy a new set of strings today.
    I have a Rickenbacker 4003, and it plays great with 110 strings with C-tuning.
    Plays troug a Ampeg 810, with the Ampeg PF-800 head.

We are a power trio, and play a type of heavy metal that can remind of stoner metal, sludge, psykadelika, groovey, mid tempo to fast, alot of the time, with slower bits in it.
    I found using the bridge pickup alot helps to get trough in the mix since guitarist plays in stereo trough two rigs of 4x12 Marshall cabs and a small 4x12 on each side.

Will there be any difference in tone if I choose Power Slinkys over D'addario?
    Is there any other brand you recommend ?

I always use Power Slinkys 55-75-90-110 with my band.
    Just curious if its possible to get more out of different brands, since people talk about it.

Or ir just good enough whatever the strings I use.

I may have played too long with dead strings atm!

Cheers!

2. Yes, it's possible to get more out of different brands. But I kind of doubt going from EB Slinky to D'A would make enough of a difference for your application.

3. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    Those are the two brands of nickel strings I used on my main gigging basses for a long time, albeit in the 45-105 gauge. I found them to be more similar than different. I still use D'Addario on my P-Bass, but have recently switched to Fodera nickel on my Jazz. One big plus for Ernie Ball and D'Addario is that they are available almost everywhere (along with Rotosound, GHS, Fender, and DR).

I would say that if you are happy with what you had, buy those again. If unhappy, or want to experiment, buy something different and then repeat until you find some you like.

4. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I’m a regular Power Slinkies 5-string set user and have been for a long time.

I did try the D’Addarios and liked them fine. Very similar to the EBs.

For whatever reason, I gravitated back to the EBs. But I could definitely use the D’Addarios if I couldn’t find the EBs.