Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power String Muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Noah-Fecks, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    You know when your playing the (root note)breakdown of a good rock/funk/whatever .. song and you want your arm to just be flailing up and down ?... well I suck a lot at doing this. Anyone with experience on this have any tips?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Umm...So, you wanna go nuts but keep your strings muted? Did I get that right?

Use both your fretting and plucking hand to mute the strings. Im not really sure what your getting at, so untill then this is the best I can do.

3. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    The most common example i can think of right now will start a riot so i'll try to better explain it. Ok now instead of using your wrist to pick you use your entire arm for a huge up and down motion. Watch a music video of any punk/ rock/ ska/ metal/ and they do it [i understand that music videos feature exaggerated playing styles]. Even the frequent, ambigious, TALKBASS antagonist Mark Hoppus does this style of picking.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ooooooh, "The Jack-Hammer" technique, eh? Well, I cant imagin when I would ever actually try to play like that...ummm Why do you want to play like that? If it makes playing well harder I would say let it go. There is no point in compramising sound/technique for style. But, I supose this isnt what youre asking. Id say just work on your right and left hand technique when jacking it. Try muting the strings with your right hand on your way up or down. For your fretting hand, try laying your fingers over the strings you arnt playing. Man, I really dont know what to tell ya, just try diffrent things out.

5. Learn good left hand muting techniques. You should find these in books about slap bass.

6. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    best slap book in your humble opinion?