power strip?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Sep 2, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Any special considerations when purchaseing a power strip to use to power a series of wal warts for effects? Any good brands vs. walmart?

I have seen this question asked yet.
  2. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    They make some strips for wall warts and have extra spacing between them. of course that makes the dimensions longer as well.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

At the very least, get something that is surge protected and is rated in joules. If there is no joule rating on it, trust me, it doesn't have surge protection built in. Even if the package claims it does.
  4. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Hmm, interesting I new there would be something to it. Hey embellisher I have 2 questions. What power strip do you use and where did you get it? Second how do you like the black finger and is it worth the hefty price tag? I have heard it is a really really good compressor from some people and was considering stocking it vs. the mxr super comp.
  5. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    oh yeah - off the topic - what do you think of the morley a/b/y - does it introduce any noise? I have been considering builing one since I couldn't find anything I liked locally (rolls/art).
  6. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I've had NO problems with my Morely AB/Y pedal. I've used it to switch between 2 different basses and 2 different amps. No noise problems with either setup.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought a power strip at Lowe's. I can't remember the brand. It was about $10. It is rated at 1500 joules of surge protection, and it is black, so that it matches my pedalboard.:D

As far as the Black Finger, I love it. I haven't used it in a band situation yet(but will tonight at rehearsal) but I have tried it with bass, guitar, and vocals, and it sounds great with all three. I think that it is as good as any rack compressor under $250, and the fact that you can get that kind of quality in a stompbox is a plus. The controls are pretty complex, so it will take some fiddling with to get 'your tone'. As with any compressor, if you set it wrong, it is capable of sounding pretty crappy, and sucking the life completely out of your tone. When used subtly and judiciously, it is very transparent. Since it has vacuum tubes, you can also overdrive it, if you want that kind of tone.

The Morley A/B/Y switch doesn't seem to add any noise. If it does, it is not enough for my ears to detect.
  8. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Furman makes a very nice powerstrip with all of the right stuff. They have a very long cord (15', I think) which is very, very nice to have. I got two of them for $25. they are black in color.
  9. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have a Morley ABY...love it...no noise...switch/combine between 2 preamps...BMax and Old Peavey