Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Strips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jambassist, Sep 30, 2002.

1. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    I guess this is amp related. What do you folks like? Seems the choices are Samson and Furman. I'm leaning toward Furman. Got a friend who has a Samson Power Brite and the volt and ampmeter just died. Thanks for the suggestions.

2. I think you should change the title of this thread to "regulated power supplies".

I thought you meant those surge protector/power strip thingys us cheap guys use. And on that subject, I use the APC computer grade surge protector/power strip thingy.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I use a Monster brand power strip that I used to use with a computer that I sold.

brad cook

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I used the cheapo's until I got a Furman PL8 for my rack, That's all I use now.

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I use the basically cheap run of the mill filtering type strip that I "mounted" in the back of my rack. Actually, I duct taped it in place.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I use a computer anti surge spike and RFI strip in my 'studio'.

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I use Furman's PL-Plus.

8. I use a 4 gang Tripp-Lite Isobar filtered power box.
    Two matched and Two Isolated Plugs.
    The each of the 2 Isolated Plugs have a 75 db and 50 db filter repectively.
    15 amps with circuit breaker and the same
    fat gauge power cord that was on my Furman PL.

$15

The steel box is mounted upside down in the rear of my rack case.

I like to travel light and not waste a rack space.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Ditto

10. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Build your own. Get one of those power strips in the metal case, gut it, discard the on/off and reset switches and install some 20amp isolated ground recepticals (Acme brand from Lowes or audio grade, no Leviton) with 10awg solid wire and a 10/3 300w cable.

Real power conditioning is very expensive and your not going to find at GC.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Vic,

There's really no such thing as "audio grade" AC receptacles, but there is "audio grade" marketing of some of them. ;)

Levitton, Eagle, and others make very good-quality AC receptacles.

The "reset switch" you mention is a circuit breaker. A good breaker is a smart thing to have on an outlet strip. So is an on/off switch, but I'd do without the switch before I'd do without the breaker.

12. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. as far as the furman goes, do i need the voltmeter that's on the pl plus? seems that's the only difference between that model and the pl 8.

13. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The volt meter isn't a necessity, but it's good for "peace of mind" if you play in a lot of different venues. It's just up to you if you need it or not.

Note:If you get the "Plus", you might have to calibrate it yourself. This is EASY to do if you have a multi-meter.

14. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I didn't think the voltmeter was worth the extra $40 on the PL-8Plus so I just got the PL-8. It is all a matter of how much you want to spend. If you realy want a voltmeter you get one for about $10 from radioshack.

-KB

15. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    *I agree, on the other hand when I have 20amps flowing through 10AWG and I force it across a small contact point such as in the circut breaker and the on/off switch I'm audibly choking the flow.

*The audible results where less noticable in the bass rig because of the frequency nature of bass amplification and much lower quality of instrument amplification componentry. Still my PLX has a tighter punch with my DIY power cord. You may not be able to hear the difference but I can. That said, and as long as I have you ear Mr. Lee, I beg you or someone at QSC to get a hold of a well run in PS Audio HCA-2 amplifier and get one of your amps to do bass like that but with a QSC level of output. No fan no heat, your power supply in that amp...whoochi'mama!

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Vic, there is no way that an AC outlet will enhance or degrade the performance of a power amp or other piece of audio gear unless there is something grossly wrong with it. Same goes for AC switches, circuit breakers, etc., whether they are cryogenically treated or not.

17. seamus said...

Ditto

PL-Plus here too.

18. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Like I said, if you say it's so...than it must be so.

I seem to remember you having the same disbelief and scepticism towards other peoples ability to hear sonic differences between different types of speaker cable.

I havn't any expertise in electrical engineering, I'm merely describing the results of a blind test conducted with neighbors, musicians and other non audiophile people who were simply instructed to listen for sonic differences in sounds like the definition in a bass drum or the decay of a cymbal and the human voice. They all heard differences. These differences are small by themselves but they begin to add up in an audio system.

I'm just sharing my experiences for those people who may be interested in the trial and error of making their bass rigs or stereo systems sound incrementally better to them.

It's clear that many of you who haven't been exposed to high resolution audio can have difficulty understanding what potential little details such as quality VAC, or a compatible speaker cable can have on the presentation of an audio experience in a well engineered system. These are just a few of the things that make somthing high end. My SCAD player cost $150, it's not about the money.

To reiterate, the sonic improvments heard through the bass rig were much less than what was heard through the stereo.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yes, Vic, I'm skeptical, and I have been exposed to many, many high-resolution audio systems. I don't doubt the sincerity of your beliefs that special cables and AC outlets will enhance the performance of your audio system. But I've seen people proclaim amazing differences in sonic quality in systems where they thought something was changed, but in fact wasn't. I've studied lots of psychoacoustic tests, and I've learned that our our perception of what we hear is heavily influenced by what we want to believe. And of course there's the old mixer trick where the artist asks for more 2.5 kHz, then the engineer reaches for the knob, makes eye contact, and before he or she even turns the knob, the artist says, "yes, a little more, that's it ... perfect!" And I've often experienced working on a project and thinking, this sounds great, then I come back to it an hour or so later, and thinking, it doesn't sound so great. And vice-versa. What's changed? Just me. Our perception is also influenced by our moods, our energy level, our well-being, etc., to vast extents that swamp any effect or non-effect that an AC outlet could have, so if someone tells me that a gnat landing on the Materhorn caused a tsunami in the South Pacific, yes, I'll suggest that there was probably some other cause.

Trust your ears to decide what you like. To decide what sounds good and what doesn't. But understand that human hearing isn't good at comparisons except in very controlled circumstances.

20. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    If you're looking for a rack-type unit, the ART SP 4x4 is pretty cool... eight outlets (4 of which are space for wall wart power supplies), analog volt meter, rack lights w/dimmer, the whole bit. And it's cheaper than any Furman that I've seen... you should be able to find one on Ebay from $70-$100 new.

The PS 4x4 is also cool... it adds an analog amp meter in addition to the volt meter.