Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power supplies to put in my van

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by clanner, Oct 30, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    would anyone out there know of where I could get an adapter to put in my cargo van that is basicall the same as an ac outlet and where I would be able tou find this? something I could plug a power strip into would be preferable.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    At Radio Shack you can get cigarette lighter adapters.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, they're called power inverters. You need to figure out your maximum wattage need and buy an one that puts out the appropriate wattage.

brad cook

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That's it. I use one for my laptop. I got mine from GI Joes, it's a Xantrex brand.

-Mike

5. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thnx. I would like to try and stay away from the liughter ones since those are in the front and I would like to use the back instead. there's this weird little thing hanging down that runs from the same place as the break lights and ceiling lights

i'll post a pick if I get the chance

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't tie a power inverter into your lights bro. If you're going to wire it up, go straight to the battery.

-Mike

7. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    k. what exactly do you mean by max wattage? the vans? or what I will be using? and is there an outboard type battery so I will not kill my battery while I'm driving? I plan on running small combos (15 watt bass and guitar) maybe a metronome through one of those. and maybe a cd player for when were not playing. (van only has radio, and my band plans to use it as our tour van, at our last gig we got all of our gear plus 4 extra passengers)

here is one I found, ther are also 100 and 150 watt versions.
    power inverter

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sounds like you're going to be living down by the river.

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I meant the wattage that will be required for your electrical usage.

I don't really know for sure but there probably wouldn't be any problem just buying an extra car battery and positioning it in some kind of box or something and just running the inverter from that. I don't know though...maybe that's certain death...any electricians care to weigh in on that?

brad cook

10. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

If you added another battery it'd have to be tied to the alternator or it wouldn't be constantly recharging and would die very shortly after you started using it. ...and in order to tie it into the alternator you'd need a more powerful alternator because you're charging two batteries instead of one. If the plan is to use this when the vehicle isn't running then you're looking at running down your battery pretty quickly I would think. Make sure you have jumper cables. I'd look into getting one of those Pignose or Taxi battery-powered amps each for guitar and bass before I'd recommend the other. You could still get the power inverter to recharge the amps while you drive or run various other things while driving.

11. The basic problem is you can't create 120 volts out of thin air. The power you get out of the inverter requires at least as much power out of the alternator/battery. Usually more because its not 100% efficient at converting the power from DC to AC.

Say you've got a 600W amp to run on the inverter. At `120 v, 600w is only 5 amps. But at 12 volts you need 50 amps to get 600W. Add some more to that, cause you lose some power in the translation from 12vDC to 120V AC. it doesn't work like a transformer, which is almost 100% efficient.

Imagine how think the wires have to be to handle 50A. You need really thick wires to supply the inverter with power if you expect to get a lot of power out of it. Take a really powerful bass amp, 1600W @ 4 ohms. You'd probably use 12 GA wire to hook up the speakers, right? News flash: 1600W@4 ohms is only 20A.

So you generally don't find inverters that put out a lot of power, especially out of the cigarette lighter. 12V x the lighter fuse gives you an upper limit to the power you could get out of one of those. Say 20A x 12v=240 watts.

Randy

12. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    where did you get a 600 watt amp from? I was thinking smaller about 10 or 15 watts. and a boom box when those aren't plugged in.

it's just so we can write when we're on the road, not really do a full scale jam, (that would destract the driver). I would like to find out about tis alternater business, I guy at radioshack (few days ago) said there was this little blue thing that car parts stores carry(sp).

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Be careful with amps. I own a 500W iAMP which draws about 500W max. I used to own a 100W Peavey which drew 500W max. Amps can be very ineffecient :rollno:

That said, a 300W invertor is less than $100CDN and should run fine from a vans lighter. We used one to run a satellite dish, computer, and assorted junk in a minivan. No problems unless we left it on all night with the engine off.

14. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

He wasn't talking about you having a 600 watt amp...he's using it as an example. A 600 watt amp would require 5 amps of electrical current to operate. The inverter you listed only provides 2.5 amps. (watts/volts = amps ... where 120 volts is standard in the US ... so your 300 w inverter / 120 volts = 2.5 a) So in other words, you could safely run the two amps on it as long as the van is running. I wouldn't recommend running them constantly as those power inverters can get pretty hot while in use. If you want to find out how many amps your amplifier requires just check out its power rating...usually listed by the electrical plug input...and insert it in that forumula.

15. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thnx, I just pickup a 200 watt one. hopefully that will work. now I just need to figure out where I put my 15 watt amp.