Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Supplies (UK)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shauny, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    I have infact asked this before and have searched for the awnser but always seem to be hit with the same problem. Heres my questions.

Ive read about the advantages of the daisy chained powersuplies and dc bricks etc, but alot of the time people recomend one spots etc, and to my knowledge Ive not found these for sale in the UK.

So bassists from the UK, what method do u use/recomend and where can I purchess them (cost etc).

Sorry for the anoying repeat question but Im having trouble find a spescific awnser.

P.S. also are these really worth the extra money or are they no better then ordinary powersupplies?
    http://www.diago.co.uk/index.php/content/view/37/105/

2. I live in Iceland and had a similar dilemma. Eventually I purchased a Godlyke Power-All from music123.com and I couldn't be happier.

It works for European voltage as well, the only thing you would have to buy would be a plug adaptor. These sell cheap in your nearest electronics store (and many other places).

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    You chose to ask at the right time my friend. Let me quote you a post I made on another forum:

"And if you guys are thinking of getting a daisy chain power supply I strongly recommend this site: http://www.guitareffectspedals.com/power-all.html. I ordered the Godlyke, which comes with all the adapters, and an extra daisy chain, and with International shipping it came to £32. And it came in 3 days"

As it says, It's the Godlyke power all...After using it I can say it is tremendous...powers everything happily, was cheap, and great shipping costs.

Edit: Btw lemme correct myself...I ordered the extra daisy chain seperately...It doesn't come with it. But still, the power supply itself, with all the adapters and a 5 chain daisy lead, plus an additional 5 plug lead, and shipping from the US to the UK for £32? Absolute bargain.

Closest thing I've seen here was a Visual Sound Onespot in the Bass center in london...its was £25 by itself, and you have to buy all the seperate adapters yourself!

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah and each daisy chain for the visual sounds onespot (that I own) is £10 so I spent £45 on everything higgie got only higgie also got the extra connectors which cost around £3-£3.50 each

I'm still tempted by the voodoo labs but it's so big and only works on one voltage. grrr :D

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hmmm actually that Diago one looks very good, especially with me having to go to america this year all I'd need is a different power lead instead of faffing around trying to find a new adaptor.

Only issue as always is ground loops but not had any with my onespot so shouldn't have any problems with this one.

6. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    Thanks for the replies, and thanks higgie for the link, the godlyke is definatly up there at the moment. Unless anyone can sugest or show me anything better?

7. I use this power bank and its a decent power supply for up to 5 effects and only £20 cant argue with that!

8. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I have one of them as well, but they take up space on the board, and only offers 450mA of current, so if you use a Line 6 pedal with more than 2 others you will get an audible humming/hissing from your amp. So I'd go with the daisy chain myself as it offers up to 1700mA compared to 450. Plus there's not actually that much price difference.

But I must say there isn't really anything wrong with them, I still use mine to power the last couple of pedals I have that there arent enough daisy chain plugs for.

I might get rid of it though and just get another daisy chain to add onto the end because of the space it takes up.

9. Is this (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1410&TabID=1&source=17&WorldID=6&doy=5m1) the right daisy chain to use with the Godlyke? Also how many daisy chain's can you add onto one unit?

Slightly off topic this, but ordering from far away lands is cool but I wondered if the banks do all the currency changing clever stuff (ie £££ to $$$), so basically would it just be the same as ordering something from a UK website? I'm looking to purchase things from America but have A) never done it before and B) are worried I'll pay someone too much/little.

Hope all the above makes sense. :ninja:

10. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    I'm probably gona order the Godlyke in the next few days, shouldn't be a problem ordering stuff from the US, when ever I've done it in the past the bank just does it automatically. I'm asuming at what ever the exchange rate was at that moment in time.