1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Supply Ampeg DI SCR

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Squire, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Squire

Squire

Jun 24, 2010
    Hi,

The bass player in my band (mainly a keyboard player) came over today with his newly acquired AMPEG DI -SCR and after he opened the box we realized it didn't ship with a power supply. He had a few power supplies that went to his Sans Amp DI and his Morely pedal. However, we were u sure about using them because of the various mA units listed on the power supplies and the DI itself. The literature that comes with AMPEG says 100mA for the DI, but there is a label on the DI itself that says 500mA. Confusing to say the least. Is it safe for him to use a supply that says 100mA? Can someone explain this to me.

Thanks,

Bill

loendmaestro likes this.
  2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hiya. 100mA is plenty to power the SCR-DI. Don't know why they put 500mA on the unit - maybe it pulls that briefly on power-up.

3. Squire

Squire

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks for your response. After talking with our guitar player, he seems to think the 500ma might have something to do with the draw when connected to other pedals in a chain.

Thanks again,

Bill

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
  5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
  6. John Bottom

John Bottom Banned

Sep 24, 2015
    Nashville
    I got one of these pieces of crap.. The only way I was able to use it was with the plug in power in my pboard.. I don't use that board anymore.. I simply wanted to use it sitting in my rack put in the insert of my front end pre.. No AC adapter I have works.. I'm assuming you have to order one.. And yes, there is one specifically for it.. So if two of them won't work with a generic supply..none of them do. I returned that one they sent a new one..it did the same thing! The damn thing screams bloody murder if you only use a battery.. When the 9 V starts to drop and hits 7.5 it starts screaming a high pitch sound that blew the clubs left drivers.. This piece of crap should never be taken seriously!

7. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    i got my srd-di the beginning of dec and had it on my board daisy chained with a one spot and 8 other pedals with no problem. it sounded really good.
    then i got a donner power supply and i run the srd-di at 12 volt and it sounds even better!

Two-Spirit and IvanC like this.
  8. John Bottom

John Bottom Banned

Sep 24, 2015
    Nashville
    So soak it voltage wise huh? Aight, I'll give that a try.. Thanks!

9. Yeah I'm getting one and the One Spot meets all of the technical requirements.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Old thread, but still good info... I use a One Spot for mine, especially for practice. I'll eventually use the Pedal Power for the whole board (including the SCR-DI), using the One Spot as a capable backup.

Two-Spirit likes this.